Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL 351W
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I’m new to trucks, but not to old Fords as I was deep into Fox Bodies back on the East coast. After moving to Tucson I needed a truck to go off-road and to the range. I found myself in a 1996 Bronco XL that I snagged for $2900 at the end of 2019. It came with an “interior” but was in rough shape, so that's been ripped out. Came with a rough country 4” lift with mud tires on it, which I dumped for KO2s. I’ve done a bunch of stuff, mainly long overdue maintenance. Overall goals are a fun cruiser that I can take off-road and do a little crawling. Nothing too crazy.

Recently completed:
Rebuilt doors: lock cylinders, all window/door seals,
latches, handles, strikers, reinforcement plates, I have hinges that I need to install
New door speakers and head unit, made a huge difference
Front brakes, new Warn locking Hubs, wheel bearings, etc
Upper/Lower ball joints and steering linkages/tie rods
Gear oil change in front and rear diff, added a nice rear diff cover too
New radiator
Went to change water pump due to small coolant leak, found out the previous owner snapped off
two water pump bolts into the block... by a miracle I got both out clean, replaced timing chain cover and water pump.
And a bunch of other odds and ends. Replacing O2s this weekend.

Next to fix/upgrade:
Rebuild Tailgate, it needs a full internal rebuild and some body work
The bed needs some sanding/grinding down due to surface rust, the previous owner has the thick vinyl flooring in, and
due to the tailgate seals being bad, water came in and sat under the floor and created some surface rust. I'll grind that all down and then coat the bed with a liner, then work on interior.
Going swap in some Bilstein 5100s all around
Front diff is leaking pretty bad... which sucks as the only way I'm aware to fix this is to drop the while TTB out
If I'm dropping the TTB, I want to re-gear it to 456s and likely put in trutracks
Rock sliders, bumpers, some lights, etc.

Long Term Goals:
351W rebuild, hopefully some alum heads and a little supercharger to help with the elevation out here
Solo motorsports mid or long travel kit

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

· Super Moderator
33,587 Posts
Yo Gearhead922,
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the very best year Big Bronco known to men, women, children and canines! You 96 looks good!
We too have a 96 XL, bought new that has no major issues with engine, E4OD, transfer case, etc issues except for some sensors we tested and replaced

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...sovers/bronco/pdf/96_Ford_Bronco_Brochure.pdf

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

See 96 Chassis & Engine Service Manuals @ 1996 Ford Truck Service Manuals - Google Drive
On pop-up, Click "Drive"

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered View attachment 202203
site by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links), includes "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

Our Sites' FAQs, includes for example:
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts
How To Search The Site
What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery?
etc.

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Enjoy our site!
Al

· Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL 351W
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Very nice Bronco and nice to see a fellow Tucsonan. If you end up regearing, I had Tucson Differential do my front and rear. They aren’t quick, but they do good work.
Hey Petersonat, thanks for the welcome. I have a feeling I've see you driving your Bronco around. I appreciate the recommendation and will keep it in mind. Although, I plan to regear it myself as I prefer to do 90%+ of all my own work.

Yo Gearhead922,
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the very best year Big Bronco known to men, women, children and canines! You 96 looks good!
We too have a 96 XL, bought new that has no major issues with engine, E4OD, transfer case, etc issues except for some sensors we tested and replaced

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...sovers/bronco/pdf/96_Ford_Bronco_Brochure.pdf

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

See 96 Chassis & Engine Service Manuals @ 1996 Ford Truck Service Manuals - Google Drive
On pop-up, Click "Drive"

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered View attachment 202203
site by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links), includes "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

Our Sites' FAQs, includes for example:
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts
How To Search The Site
What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery?
etc.

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Enjoy our site!
Al
And also a Hello and thanks to miesk5. I appreciate all of the info, especially the recall. Mine does have cruise control, but it doesn't work. I'll definitely check it out. All of thinks are quite useful, so much appreciated. I'll definitely take some time to make a few posts to pump my numbers up so I get into the market place. I'm sure I'll be buying plenty and selling on occasion.

And yes, I'm very happy I snagged a 96 XL. I like that it's mostly all manual, makes it that much more simple, and has OBD2, which is a blessing and curse being in Tucson with emissions. Luckily I was able to get out of that. Supposedly, my XL has 330k+ miles on it and has very minor issues. Runs like a champ and just took it on it's/my first mini road trip up to Phx and back. Longest trip I've taken it on since I got it. I was happy to learn she does and feels great at 70-80mph. I didn't have any reason to think she wouldn't do well, but these trips are always nice reinforcement.

· Super Moderator
33,587 Posts
Yo G,
Our 96 intends to stay extremely nice to us and wants to be officially recognized by NJ Office of Adoption Operations, a licensed adoption agency within the State of New Jersey, Department of Children and Families, Child Protection and now, Vehicle Protections! 👍 😎

· Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL 351W
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome @Gearhead922
Good to see yet another FSB running around Tucson.

Maybe you & @Petersonat would be interested in a redington run one day.
I'd absolutely be down for a Bronco meetup. I haven't taken it off-road much yet due to some issues I needed to resolve. Aside from the front diff leak, it should be fine.

· Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
3,142 Posts
Welcome to FSB and congrats on the 96! Looks like you're whipping' it into shape and have a nice build going.

Reactions: Gearhead922
1 - 10 of 10 Posts