Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all of y'all from Alabama. I'll start off by saying I have always been a Toyota fan because from the time I was 15 till may of this year I had a yota. But I decided to buy my own vehicle and I decided with a 1992 Bronco Custom. There was a rough patch at the beginning because two weeks in the engine blew but I decided to replace it and keep the bronco and thank The Lord I did. I love it so much. It currently is a project but I will have it great in no time. I currently have replaced rotors, brake drums, wheel bearings, radiator, water pump, fuel filter, radiator hose, battery, fan clutch, belt, and I'm about to have to fix the cold idle. But hey if I have already put that much into it then I may as we'll go all out. A buddy and I welded up a tube bumper to match the rear bumper but I'm soon bout to buy new bumpers. Alright we'll I hope to hear from y'all. If y'all have any suggestions on exhaust and accessories for a fair price please let me know because I ain't paying 600 for a cattle catcher. Haha thanks and God bless.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Welcome. How bout a couple pics? What happened to blow the motor, and with a rebuild whats the cold idle issue?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
What are your ultimate plans for it? DD, mudder, rock crawler, camper?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome. How bout a couple pics? What happened to blow the motor, and with a rebuild whats the cold idle issue?
Well I was driving down I-20 and all of sudden I heard the knocking in the engine. I first thought maybe the oil leak had caught up but when a buddy and me got to pulling it out we found that the crank shaft bearing broke off and that was the initial cause.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are your ultimate plans for it? DD, mudder, rock crawler, camper?
My plans are to get it running great first.ha. It's gonna eventually be a mud toy once I get done with welding school and find me a job. I've already started working hard to make it look good. I'm buying two new bumpers once pay day rolls around, I found a 6" rough country lift for 545 but I'm not sure what I can do to reduce the top heavy factor. I got a winch in the garage so I'm gonna weld up a brush guard and mounts and plate for it to sit on my bumper. But it's definitely a working progress

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
My plans are to get it running great first.ha. It's gonna eventually be a mud toy once I get done with welding school and find me a job. I've already started working hard to make it look good. I'm buying two new bumpers once pay day rolls around, I found a 6" rough country lift for 545 but I'm not sure what I can do to reduce the top heavy factor. I got a winch in the garage so I'm gonna weld up a brush guard and mounts and plate for it to sit on my bumper. But it's definitely a working progress
If its gonna be a mud toy, top heavy isn't so much of a problem. Its only a problem when driving at high speeds, 40+ mph. Just leave the suspension stock while you're using it as a DD. Still, you want to reduce weight as much as possible. Is there any reason why you want to replace the current tube bumper? If nothing else, you can put a stock bumper back on, even with a winch. There are plenty of us who run winches mounted behind the stock bumpers. They may be chrome, but they're 3/8" pressed steel. They only issue you'd have is the accordion frame horns up front, but since you're learning to weld, the simplest solution to those is to simply weld a flat plate on the bottom of the frame horns. Do some quick searching around here and you'll see plenty, or do a google search.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its gonna be a mud toy, top heavy isn't so much of a problem. Its only a problem when driving at high speeds, 40+ mph. Just leave the suspension stock while you're using it as a DD. Still, you want to reduce weight as much as possible. Is there any reason why you want to replace the current tube bumper? If nothing else, you can put a stock bumper back on, even with a winch. There are plenty of us who run winches mounted behind the stock bumpers. They may be chrome, but they're 3/8" pressed steel. They only issue you'd have is the accordion frame horns up front, but since you're learning to weld, the simplest solution to those is to simply weld a flat plate on the bottom of the frame horns. Do some quick searching around here and you'll see plenty, or do a google search.
Thanks man I would have never thought to do that. Most likely what I will do with the winch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts