Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on bring back to life a 1989 EB Bronco, with 5.0 EFI and auto. Dealing with a fuel related issue at the moment, won't run. New in tank pump that was dead.....new rail fuel pump....gas in tank...but still no starting.

Reading up on the fuel system to see whats up and what to check next!

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
welcome to FSB, hope you get it figured out. the pro's hear will get you taken care of. just place your question in the noob section.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup

Unfortunatley you may not know how well/poorly the PO maintained the BKO so you're going to have to work thru problems that arise until you get it running but the vehicle has a computer you can tap into to help narrow your diagnosis for electronic and electronic issues, however there are no fault codes for FPR = fuel pressure regulator issues, it's vaccum so fuel pressure gauge would be required in order to test PSI.

Pulling Codes requires using either an OBD-I or II Ford Code Reader with diagnostic book to include "fault code number " explanations and costs $29.99 in most auto parts stores, worth it's weight in gold IMO or there's a "pulsing" technique using a paper clip if you don't mind killing brain cells. The test connectors for the Code Reader can be in different locations in the engine bay, mine are over on the right side behind the battery area off the harness Red/Tan in color.

For How To: www.oldfuelinjection.com (formerly fordfuelinjection.com) has it all there.

At some point you should TEST the ignition module located either directly on the distributor referred to as a TFI = thick film integrated module OR module mounted somewhere in the engine by taking to an auto parts store to test FREE but several times for passing grade otherwise replace with Motorcraft.

Other parts to become familiar with are: TPS = throttle position sensor, IAC = idle air control sensor, ECT = engine cooling temp sensor and O2 = oxygen sensor ALL of which are fuel managers at "cold start" and normal operation in an EFI = electronic fuel injection system so you understand how they "relate" to each other for better performance.

Just a few thoughts! :beer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts