Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first FSB, and I'm sure I will be relying on this forum quite a bit.

The truck I bought has a very straight body, but the electrical, interior, and mechanicals will need some work. It is a 1995 302, and incredibly slow. I am hoping to locate an F350 donor truck for a full drive train swap.

I will also be looking for gray interior parts since most of my interior topper trim is missing.

My driver's seat is also destroyed if anyone knows where to get replacement factory covers and foam.

In the past, I had a 1996 reg cab, short box 4x4 and hated the Dana 44 IFS. This is why I am looking for the F350 donor, preferably a 7.3 5 speed truck.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Welcome.

so you want to make a 1-ton IDI bronco?

broncos are all slow, there's probably nothing wrong with yours. if it can go down the freeway at 70mph you can't expect much more. no burning rubber.

may i ask why you hated the ttb?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wanting to swap to 1 ton running gear, and either a fuel injected 460 or a 7.3 power stroke.

As it is now, the bronco will do 70 mph okay. It can't do it into the wind or uphill though.

I didn't like the ifs because after having the whole front suspension rebuilt and taking it back several times, the best local alignment shop still could not get the steering wheel to point straight.

Worse than this, steering at slow speeds felt terrible as though the suspension was binding up. I only had 31x10.50x15 tires on it. Maybe the power steering pump was weak, but it still never felt right.

Any solid axle 4x4 Ford I've parked or turned at slow speeds definitely felt like it rolled more freely than my Ifs 96.

I just assumed they steer goofy, but maybe there was something wrong with that truck.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
The best alignment shop in your town must not be very good if they can't even get the steering wheel centered.

It takes me 5 minutes with a measuring tape, a 15mm wrench, and a channel lock pliers to set toe in and center the steering wheel on TTB. f-150's, broncos, explorers, and rangers.. all the same, extremely simple.

If something feels goofy, or like it's binding, there is something wrong.
Before you attempt to re-engineer the entire suspension, ask yourself if a manufacturer would have allowed millions of light trucks and SUV's to roll off the assembly line with "goofy" steering for 16 years. imagine the lawsuits.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, and of course I don't know your abilities so this is just assumption based off what's written above, but the idea of somebody re-engineering an entire suspension system to fit a different type of axle, different type of steering, designing link arms etc, as a work around to not being able to correctly troubleshoot and repair the stock system makes me concerned for your safety and the safety of others on the road.

suspension doesn't move at all during steering, if something feels like it's binding up when you turn the steering wheel, I'd suspect the steering box of being bad (they have bearings and gears and such inside that wear out and binding is sometimes a precursor to total failure)

Find a new mechanic shop or just read up and be your own mechanic (recommended) and make an informed decision. don't jump on the SAS bandwagon without knowing what you're doing or why you're doing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts