Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'86 XLT, with an automatic 302 5.0L V8.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Levi/SlowGuyJones here. I just bought a beautiful '86 XLT, with an automatic 302 5.0L V8.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Sky

The previous owner had it for about a year and did a ton of work that I get to benefit from. They had the undercarriage sandblasted and resealed - looks amazing and has no rust anywhere. They also did a ton of engine work, put in a "racing radiator", and even put on new wheels and tires. I bought it in Los Angeles and drove it back home up in northern California and it handled the drive great - no issues at all, was super impressed.

The downsides are pretty minimal for all that they fixed.
  • The instrument panel doesn't read very accurately; the speedometer and odometer are both off (these two are related, obviously), and the gas gauge goes from full to empty after about two gallons. (I started to panic that there was a major leak, and rushed to a gas station, but had only used a couple of gallons so know it is just the gauge, thankfully).
  • The heater/AC doesn't blow at all. I found something online that said to first check fuse #9 if it wasn't blowing, but the fuse is fine so now I'm looking to remove the temperature control unit and see if there is something up with some of the connections in it. I'm definitely going in blind, but hoping to figure something out.
  • There is a LOT of sand inside now, and even after vacuuming, more and more always shows up after bumping around a bit. I started taking off the dash and instrument panel and, wow, there is a ton of sand back in there as well. So, planning on continuing to remove everything up front, vacuum it out, and go from there.
  • At some point, I'd like to put in a backup cam (probably one of the license plate ones) and a radio that can display it - our kids are pretty young and there are a number of neighbor kids around - and just want to make sure to do everything I can to keep them safe.
  • With that, will probably put on a step or running boards to help the kids get in - it's pretty funny watching them have to climb right now. Also thinking of putting a bench seat in front (again, lots of kids), or maybe even a 3rd row so the whole family can be in there. I've seen a few postings on here about options there, but that's going to be a little bit later down the line.
This is my second Bronco. I had a black and tan Eddie Bauer '88 about 20 years ago but had to get rid of it because of X, Y, and Z. I absolutely loved it and have been wanting to get a Bronco again ever since then - it finally worked out!

Anyway, glad to be here! I've been stalking the site for a while and finally just joined today. Excited to learn from everyone, and hopefully even learn enough so that I can help someone else out down the road.

Cheers!
Levi/SlowGuyJones

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Yo Levi/SlowGuyJones,
Welcome and congratulations on your great looking 86!
Here's the 86 Bronco Dealer Brochure at 1983 Ford Bronco 86 Bronco Brochure Photos pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net.
To discuss any issues, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie section. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that require 50 posts to buy, sell or trade due to scammers who preyed on our members too many times.

1986 EVTM - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible) by Ford via Gary
Look at the A/C Heater Section on page 143

1985-1986 Fuel System Adjustments by Ford via Gary

1986 Bronco Operating Guide by Ford via Gary @ 1983 Ford Bronco Manuals & Pamphlets (Scanned) picture | SuperMotors.net.
see

1986 Owner Guide by Ford via Gary

1986 Exterior Colors by Ford via Gary

1986 Bronco Accessories Catalog by Ford via Gary. @ 1986 Ford Light Truck Accessories Brochure

1980-86 Pickup Fasteners by Ford via Gary, but mostly for front clip

1986 Bronco Rapid Specs Guide by Ford via Gary @ 1986 Ford Light Truck Accessories Brochure

1986 Color & Trim Selection Options by Ford via Gary

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf. via BroncMom

To discuss the issues 🚩; it's better to post each seperately in Noobie section. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that require 50 posts to buy, sell or trade due to scammers who preyed on our members too many times.

See How to add your Bronco' sSignature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Forum FAQs includes for example, Hot to Use Search. How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts, How To Upload Images To Posts and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

●Try to find time to Participate and vote in our next Full-Size of the Month and later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; & a years worth of premium FSB membership.

Enjoy your 86!
Al

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
1,121 Posts
Nice Bullnose! I have 2 86's..one is a pile of crap and the other is a slightly better pile of crap...but one of these days maybe the 2 will make 1 good one. Welcome to the site and lets see some more pictures!

The sand is most likely from the sandblasting..that stuff gets everywhere, it'll just have to eventually work its way out.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,178 Posts
Welcome to FSB and congrats on the great-lookin' 86!

·
Premium Member
*SOLD* 1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabbers
833 Posts
Blower switch and blower motor resistor might be good places to look for blower issues. If the tires are bigger than stock, that would cause speedo / odometer issue. Gas gauge signal from in tank sending unit comes from a rheostat, they wear down and then don't send a good signal. Usually wear out in the middle of the range. Other gauges could be getting bad signals from sensors, or it could be a grounding issue with the gauge cluster. Hopefully that gets you rolling for a bit.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Really dig the color. I had a 1983 F150 with that color.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,571 Posts
Welcome! I feel the pain of the sand. My super duty spent 130k miles in Oklahoma and western Nebraska. Even my instrument cluster has oklahoma red dirt in it. Its a regular cab and i pulled about a gallon of sand and dirt out of it.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,032 Posts
Great looking Bronco, & that sand is just gonna be something you have to keep on vacuuming up, it goes away eventually. I had a 69 camaro that was sandblasted when restored & that drove me nuts!

My 86 is the 4th Bronco I've had over the years, and they really are fun to drive, & I dont even go offroading any more, mostly cuz I dont like to clean out mud, or breaking things.

·
Registered
'86 XLT, with an automatic 302 5.0L V8.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the warm welcome! Finding more things that need fixing each day now, but knew that would be the case 😅. I'll be sure to start individual posts in the Noobie section, but again, great to be here, and look forward to learning from you all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts