Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT, 451W, C6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I went to Colorado for a few days, and we bought a Bronco. We had been looking for one to fix up, and found a 1989 XLT (we think) that fit the bill. Our sons are helping out when they are around. I am not planning to restore it "to factory" - just want something I will enjoy driving.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,978 Posts
Congrats on the rig 👍 but, pix or it didn't happen 😊

·
Super Moderator
25,810 Posts
Yo CO_89,
Welcome!
Check Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) by NHTSA @ Welcome to VIN Decoding :: provided by vPIC

Here is the; 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

For any Bronco questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search. How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts, How To Upload Images To Posts and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

See and Vote in our current Full-Size of the Quarter Contest & later, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Also see the prizes!

Al

Reactions: CO_89

·
Super Moderator
25,810 Posts
Yo CO_89,
Thanks for saving it!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,992 Posts
Here it is - just got it here Monday.

It needs lots of TLC...

View attachment 165059
Sure, a little TLC is needed, but I dont see any body rust, which is a GOOD thing.

Be aware that if you take the bronco somewhere humid, it will start to rust. Mine was from CO too and the hard to reach crevices underneath were packed with fine silt. They trapped the humidity and ive got some serious rust starting.

Oh and WELCOME!

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT, 451W, C6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure, a little TLC is needed, but I dont see any body rust, which is a GOOD thing.

Be aware that if you take the bronco somewhere humid, it will start to rust. Mine was from CO too and the hard to reach crevices underneath were packed with fine silt. They trapped the humidity and ive got some serious rust starting.

Oh and WELCOME!
Yes, we are finding that silt everywhere. You are right about very little rust - we are thrilled with that - the only real casualty has been the tailgate.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
When I got my rig, it spent most of it's life in Arkansas and Texas, zero rust, but I likely pulled 3 pounds of mud out of my tailgate. It had the drain holes blocked and went about 2 inches up the walls inside the tailgate 😮 Guess that's what happens when u mix wet Northwest pa climate and the dust bowl 🤷‍♀️
20191008_154343-1.jpg

20191008_160150.jpg

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,992 Posts
Yes, we are finding that silt everywhere. You are right about very little rust - we are thrilled with that - the only real casualty has been the tailgate.
I actually pulled two small cacti out of the undercarriage of mine. They are dry as a bone. Thats right, I kept them! One was in the coil spring and one on the gas tank body crossmember.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I actually pulled two small cacti out of the undercarriage of mine. They are dry as a bone. Thats right, I kept them! One was in the coil spring and one on the gas tank body crossmember.
That's crazy...I have a hornets nest that I pulled out one of my wheel wells... And this one was between my radiator and headlights. Yup...I kept it 😁
20200809_131843.jpg

·
Addicted to Junk
12,992 Posts
That's crazy...I have a hornets nest that I pulled out one of my wheel wells... And this one was between my radiator and headlights. Yup...I kept it 😁
View attachment 165138
Haha i have a rat hotel in the engine compartment of my 78. Ugh wasps are my number one enemy. Them paper wasps are the worst. With all the, ahem, extra vehicles i have, and 80 acres of trees, we have so many wasps.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Haha i have a rat hotel in the engine compartment of my 78. Ugh wasps are my number one enemy. Them paper wasps are the worst. With all the, ahem, extra vehicles i have, and 80 acres of trees, we have so many wasps.
Yikes 😮 thankfully these nests were all abandoned long before she came to me, but don't envy your situation one bit.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,204 Posts
When I had the Bronco sitting along side the garage for a year so I could use the garage space for repairing the Firebird, the black wasps had a heyday with it. I still have a large empty nest in the tunnel at the side of the hood. Everytime I lift the hood you can hear it slide towards the cowl.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
When I had the Bronco sitting along side the garage for a year so I could use the garage space for repairing the Firebird, the black wasps had a heyday with it. I still have a large empty nest in the tunnel at the side of the hood. Everytime I lift the hood you can hear it slide towards the cowl.
:rolleyes:
That would just freak me out hearing that slide around

·
Addicted to Junk
12,992 Posts
Yikes 😮 thankfully these nests were all abandoned long before she came to me, but don't envy your situation one bit.
Lol i barely got my "new" boat parked there and they were moving in! I wish there were 'wasp killers' like there are cicada killers. Giant flying murderwasps that dont hurt us. Lol after 30 years on this earth i finally got stung by a wasp a couple years ago. I was inside at work helping a customer and felt it fly up my sleeve. He ended up getting me on the hand.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Lol i barely got my "new" boat parked there and they were moving in! I wish there were 'wasp killers' like there are cicada killers. Giant flying murderwasps that dont hurt us. Lol after 30 years on this earth i finally got stung by a wasp a couple years ago. I was inside at work helping a customer and felt it fly up my sleeve. He ended up getting me on the hand.
That's terrible. Wonder if moth balls would keep them away. I've heard good things about hanging stuffed paper lunch bags working. They think other hornets are already moved in...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts