Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i have a 1934 Ford Chain truck (very, VERY RARE) and i want to keep it stock. The entire body has been sand blasted and primered. It still has all of the original working parts and NO RUST. The only thing im working on is the v-8. :cry I have a v-8 block but it needs some serious work. Is it worth it to rebuild it?

I have been haveing trouble finding a 34 v-8. Would it be worth it to go to a newer v-8 block and still keep the value of the truck up?

Thanks a bunch guys any links or even pictures of work that has been done to a flathead v-8 would be helpfull in my desicion process.
:popc1:

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
It depends on what you want in the end and how much time and money you want to spend on this project.

·
Registered
983 Posts
yes, it is worth it to rebuild it, at least in my opinion.

the parts are out there but they are substantially more expensive. if you've got a budget crunch you might be better off using a newer 302 or somethin. in my opinion the old flat head v8s are cool as shit, i'd probably try to get it running again.

in all reality i'd start to rebuild it, get the price lists from a couple manufacturers and realize i'm out of my mind, sell the engine as is and buy a semi-complete small block and drop that in there....

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck is very rare (there are only a few left) i do want to put a flathead in it.

Money... not worried about it. I just dont want to put more money into the engine than its going to be worth.

Is there anywhere i can find a v8 that has already been rebuilt?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Have you tried searching the web? There are a lot of companies out there dealing with flatheads. They're kind of making a comeback as far as I can tell. If you go pick up a Street Rodder magazine, you shouldn't have any problem finding companies who deal with them.

mR

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you tried searching the web? There are a lot of companies out there dealing with flatheads. They're kind of making a comeback as far as I can tell. If you go pick up a Street Rodder magazine, you shouldn't have any problem finding companies who deal with them.
mR

You would think, but i haven't found a complete 34' and i have been looking for a whyle now.

The first year they produced the 221 was 1932. It was 65hp. In 1934 the 2 bbl, 85hp, 221 came out.

:doh0715: thats what i ment, the first 85 hp two bbl card :thumbup

·
Registered
500 Posts
OK so i have a 1934 Ford Chain truck (very, VERY RARE) and i want to keep it stock. The entire body has been sand blasted and primered. It still has all of the original working parts and NO RUST. The only thing im working on is the v-8. :cry I have a v-8 block but it needs some serious work. Is it worth it to rebuild it?

I have been haveing trouble finding a 34 v-8. Would it be worth it to go to a newer v-8 block and still keep the value of the truck up?

Thanks a bunch guys any links or even pictures of work that has been done to a flathead v-8 would be helpfull in my desicion process.
:popc1:
Can you be a little more specific on what the problems with the block are? Is it cracked or just rusty or what? Also, I would think that if you can't find a '34 flathead, then a flathead from another year would be better if you are going for a stock restoration rather than a hotrod. Otherwise, if you go with, say a 302, you are going to have to put in, at least, a new transmission and radiator. But, you'll probably end up putting a new rear end, because I guarantee that it is geared pretty low for that flathead.

Thats my advice for a restoration, at least. Now, if you want to do a custom or hotrod, lets start talking about big blocks, blowers, and cams :thumbup Either way though, lets see some pics.

mR

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you be a little more specific on what the problems with the block are? Is it cracked or just rusty or what? Also, I would think that if you can't find a '34 flathead, then a flathead from another year would be better if you are going for a stock restoration rather than a hotrod. Otherwise, if you go with, say a 302, you are going to have to put in, at least, a new transmission and radiator. But, you'll probably end up putting a new rear end, because I guarantee that it is geared pretty low for that flathead.

Thats my advice for a restoration, at least. Now, if you want to do a custom or hotrod, lets start talking about big blocks, blowers, and cams :thumbup Either way though, lets see some pics.

mR
The block was rusted, so we had it bored .030 over. It sat for a whyle (we had two 34' flatheads we were working on :thumbup) so now that it has been sitting again it has rusted out again and needs to be re-bored :cry The other block that we were working on was cracked and frozen :banghead So we are back to square one. The truck is next to my grandfathers 1922 Hupmobile that was restored to stock (or close to it), we want to restore this truck as close to stock as we can...

If i cant find a 221 we will prob. drop a 302. Its just that we have already rebuilt the tranny and rear end for the 221 2bbl. :smilie_slap

·
Registered
500 Posts
The block was rusted, so we had it bored .030 over. It sat for a whyle (we had two 34' flatheads we were working on :thumbup) so now that it has been sitting again it has rusted out again and needs to be re-bored :cry The other block that we were working on was cracked and frozen :banghead So we are back to square one. The truck is next to my grandfathers 1922 Hupmobile that was restored to stock (or close to it), we want to restore this truck as close to stock as we can...

If i cant find a 221 we will prob. drop a 302. Its just that we have already rebuilt the tranny and rear end for the 221 2bbl. :smilie_slap
Are the cylinders that bad, or could the just be re-honed? I'm not really up on the flatheads, so I don't know a whole lot about them. But if it is just surface rust, you may be able to get away with re-honing them. Street Rodder just did a big spread on flatheads a month or two ago, and they interviewed this company:

H&H flatheads forever.

If i were you, I would give them a call. After the work you've already done, and on a piece that is so rare, I would make sure and go with a proper restoration. But hey that is just my $0.02. Like I said, there are a lot of people that are starting to deal with these motors (and I'm sure quite a few who have been for a while) I can't imagine that you can't come up with something that would work.

mR

·
Registered
165 Posts
1934 model "a" 1 1/2 ton flatbed with towing chains
Maybe I am just retarded, but I still dont get it:confused:

It has a boom on it??? or just some chains for pulling whatever???

On a related note, I have a VINTAGE 3 ton rated wrecker boom, that from my research is 1926 era- would be a neat touch on an old truck of the same general timeframe.

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I am just retarded, but I still dont get it:confused:

It has a boom on it??? or just some chains for pulling whatever???

On a related note, I have a VINTAGE 3 ton rated wrecker boom, that from my research is 1926 era- would be a neat touch on an old truck of the same general timeframe.
Look at the di-cast model, there are chains on the back LARGE chains used to attach logs and cars and what not. It got the name "chain truck" from the large chains. They come stock with the truck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I saw the chains on the toy truck, but it didnt make sense to me why they would be put on at the factory- or at all for that matter. Those chains look huge - something big enough to need a chain that big hooked to it would easily cause damage to that size of truck I would think.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts