Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got to inspecting a pair of gt40 heads I ordered and found out one is for a 351w with the passage for the crossover tube and the other is a 302 one without them. Would there be a problem using them. did they have different flow or wouuld it be ok to just get some head bolt bushings and run them as is

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are 3 bar heads and both say gt. one sauys 5d1 and wcp on the other side with a large 2 and 89791 in a cicrcular patern were the rockers are and on the top corners it says gt on one side and 99 (might be 66) on the other. the other head says cucp then 1h6 and 16753 ina circular patern gt on one top corner and 71 on the other

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Intake and exhuast ports are the same size.Would I be able to just get a set of washer to install them or are the bushings necessary. Well on the bright side when I build the 351 I only have to drill the holes on one head. The guy I bought them from on carol.net said they came of the same car and is stumped on why they are different. Could it be someone cracked a head and put one from a lightning on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
(I think) there are 2 GT40 heads. one has 2 bars and the other 3 bars.
The GT40P heads have 4 bars and come on the Ford Exployer 302.
I thought the 2 & 3 bar heads were 351W heads, larger chambers and
set up for 1/2" head bolts. The GT40P heads being 302 have smaller chambers and set up for 7/16" head bolts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This question is of the subject but the felpro gasket set came with umbrella type valve seals.I tried putting them and they slide up and down with the valves. Are they supposed to be like that or should they stay in place like the factory ones? If so how do you put them on properly? They are just plastic with no metal or any type of retainer.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
This question is of the subject but the felpro gasket set came with umbrella type valve seals.I tried putting them and they slide up and down with the valves. Are they supposed to be like that or should they stay in place like the factory ones? If so how do you put them on properly? They are just plastic with no metal or any type of retainer.
They should not slide up and down, but stay firm on the end of the guide like the factory ones.

fwiw: The best guide seals imho are the ones called vitron or something like that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
What you got there are old-school "umbrella" seals....which aint realy a seal at all. They are simply deflectors which are intended to keep most of the oil away from the valve stem. And yeah, they do move up and down with the valve.
What you need instead are the correct seals for the head/valve-guide design you have. If your parts store doesn't have them, check with an auto machine shop. Them guys usualy keep plenty on hand.

DGW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts