Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a 6” BDS lift on the bronco recently. Had some extreme positive camber issues. Installed drop pitman arm, drop axle brackets, drop radius arm brackets etc etc. No I didn’t use the 4” lift holes on the axle bracket lol!
Thought no worries we can take this to a reputable off-road shop in my area to get aligned, no problem. $360 later all they could do was throw in the front left camber bushing and adjust my tie rod ends. They said that my tie rods were maxed out for adjustments, meaning that they couldn’t put my toe out far enough because my adjustment sleeve wouldn’t have enough to grab on to. And because of that they couldn’t adjust install the right side camber bushing to adjust the camber on that side.

I’m at a loss on what to do to align my truck. Does anyone have any suggestions?
My lift kit only came with one front shock for each side, so I ordered a 6” lifted AUX shocks and installed them. Could this be the issue? Maybe I could remove the shock to get rid of some positive camber? Hit a few jumps to make the springs settle in more?

As for my toe issues (3 degrees out) What are my options? Maybe a longer pitman arm? Fab some longer tie rod ends? Does anyone make longer toe rod ends/adjustment sleeves?

here are pictures of what my alignment is looking like right now

·
Registered
587 Posts
I’m can’t offer much but I’m watching as a BDS lift is on my radar.

Sounds like you went with the drop bracket lift?

Have you contacted BDS to ask for some assistance? I can’t imagine this is the expected outcome from a $1500 lift.

You could look at a tie rod flip at the knuckle to help the links get back to level.

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
250 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of a lack of tie rod length aside from extending the track width on Datsun 240Zs, even those are fine with stock tie rod ends.

Verify your steering is actually centered? Is anything bent? Do you have the correct drop pitman arm?

The camber looks way off as well, it should be listed in degrees, not milimeters. It almost looks like the shop is unfamiliar with these and just didn't do the job correctly. Why would the side they adjusted have worse camber than the stock side? Verify the left side cam is set for most negative camber?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the steering is centred, the drop pitman arm looks pretty damn long (About 7” from top to bottom) compared to the stock one which was straight with no dip. Just ordered 3.2 degree camber bushings and both tie rod ends with new adjustable sleeves from ACDELCO.
I got ahold of the shop that did the alignment and apparently they were able to get the toe and castor but there wasn’t enough threads in the adjustment sleeve to ”safely drive it”. It was a late day at the shop for them and honestly I think they just wanted to cut their losses and be done with it. They seemed unfamiliar with the TTB setup like you said. And yes it’s very odd that they measured camber in mm instead of degree. Not going back to those guys!
I think I will mess around with the tie rod ends and adjustment sleeves myself, then take the bronco to 4 wheel parts to get them to put the 3.2 degree camber bushings in. I will post updates along the way. I can’t find anyone having the same issues as I do on these threads. Maybe I can help someone with their project by showing my process.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wonder if the tie rod sleeves were off center?

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's been threaded off center, there is more thread engagement on one side than the other, remove outer tie rod to correct. Here's something boring and educational to calculate minimum acceptable thread engagement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the left side. Thanks for the reply, I’ll take a gander on the thread when I’m not a few beers deep lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Check your steering gear and make sure it is centered ie steering wheel reinstalled wrong, or twisted pitman shaft

1 - 9 of 9 Posts