Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new to this forum..
just bought a 91 bronco/351W/Silver Edition....
it is in great condition but the other day i was trying out the 4x4 and it went on good but.. when i tried to turn it off it wouldnt turn off.. i would put it in Neutral and then press the low range and 4x4 buttons but the light would not turn off.. i also just tried driving in reverse but no luck.. i tried disconnecting the motor from the t-case and also the battery cable to see if it would reset it self.. but no luck.. so i took it to an electrician and he told me that it was the t-case.. what do you all think??Does that sound acurate? This is my first bronco so i am not familiar with any tech problems... Thanks in advance.. any input is appreciated.. If it is the t-case anyone know where i can get one? cheap.....thanks email me at [email protected]

Tony....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try posting in the emergency forum, but im sure someone that knows what the problem is will post soon. I think i have seen this problem posted a couple times before so try searching too. Best of luck. Oh did you try tapping on it with a wrench?Thats what my friend had to do in his f150.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Most common problem with the symptoms your describing is the shift motor on the t-case is getting a bit tired or dirty or both. Have someone sit in the truck and press the button while you TAP EASY W/OUT BUSTING ANYTHING on the t-case motor. That usually gets them going again. If that works just be sure to cycle the shifter a few times right away so it gets all nice and lubes up in there.
If it dont work.......you will need to remove and replace the t-case motor unless you want to try to just clean it up and put it back in.
When you take the motor off you will see indicated on the t-case itself the shift positions......just turn the tab by hand back to 2WD.

With all this said make sure first you have power to the motor, and check the t-case shift module under the right side kick panel. It has a self test feature.......you can check it out in your Haynes, or search here for the correct procedure for the self test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HELP!!!!

how do i do the self check for the motor with the self tester???do you have any pics of what you have informed me? how hard is it to take the motor off? do you have any pics of the shifter once i take the motor off so i can know what im looking at? how do i know if the motor is good? can i press the button on the dash once the motor is off to see if the motor moves? you can email me any info or pics to [email protected]

thanks...

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Never heard of it getting stuck in 4wd usually people can't get it to go into 4wd. Anyway search in the tech write up forum there is a write up on opening up the shift motor and repairing it. Can't tell you anything from experience, mine's a manual x-fer case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
help!!!

once i take the motor off.. to turn the t-case back to 2wd does the transmission have to be on Neutral or Park?????what do i use to turn the t-case back to 2wd..just pliers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts