Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after several sets of headers being trash I am asking for some help in actually finding a set.

1996 Bronco 5.8.

I need the EGR hookup on cylinder 1 on the passenger bank, and I'd like ceramic coated.

The only ones for a decent price I find are flowtech on summit for 410, but flowtech has a bad rep here and I am tired of buying and sending back headers (even after speaking with companies on the phone).

Can someone who has a 96 5.8 tell me what headers you run so I can just get the same ones in ceramic?

I found these: http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/PAC72C1325.htm

And hopefully they are right but the picture is just a stock photo. Price is right though if they are the right header.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I've used JBA headers on a few different trucks over the years with no problems and are what I'm running now.
Stainless are about 400.00
Ceramic are about 525.00

·
Man of endless projects
9,291 Posts
problem with the 96 is that it will have an O2 sensor bung welded on each. other than that theres no difference between it and the other years. you will want to verify that the headers you get have that. or what you can do is have the 2 bungs welded on the Y-pipe so you can use the other years. it might also be cheaper to go that route as 96 specific ceramics will probably cost alot more than the other year ones

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my Y pipe already has the bungs on it, but I'm taking it to a shop to custom SS the headers back.

Scatt, the ceramic is worth the cost right?

·
Man of endless projects
9,291 Posts
if you already have the bungs on the y-pipe and get them welded on the new y-pipe, then don't look for a 96 header. look for a 95 or earlier pair. 96 specific headers will make it much harder to find and cost more

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you already have the bungs on the y-pipe and get them welded on the new y-pipe, then don't look for a 96 header. look for a 95 or earlier pair. 96 specific headers will make it much harder to find and cost more
OK perfect. I was mainly using 96 as the term because thats when ALL broncos had the EGR pipe in the header. Wish they had just done it in the intake like the cars

·
I did done broke it
2,282 Posts
My flowtechs are perfectly fine...mine are not ceramic coated though. But they fit fine

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mate!

I just spent most of the day strugling to get a set of long tubes on my drivers side, get the passenger side done up and the EGR tube is 1" too long. Really p'd me o.

I don't want to spend 500 bucks on a set but hell, I will if it will bolt right on without trouble. I dont want to spend all day on a 1 hour job.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was reading dyno tests about ceramic and it does nothing for performance but engine bay temps were 800 degrees at engine stop with no coating and 250 with coating. Seems worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Yeah, the ceramic is a heat thing. I personally so no reason for it and used the stainless, with no troubles.
Ditch the long tubes and stick with the shorties.

I noticed that Autoanything.com has Bassani headers. I thought Bassani quit making them for these trucks?

·
Man of endless projects
9,291 Posts
OK perfect. I was mainly using 96 as the term because thats when ALL broncos had the EGR pipe in the header. Wish they had just done it in the intake like the cars
pretty sure that is incorrect. I think all EFI truck 351 (exept Lightnings due to the GT40 intake) had the EGR tube to the manifolds and all truck 302 had a EGR tube to the lower intake. my old 96 302 also ran to the intake.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok I just ordered those titanium ceramic coated JBA headers from stylin trucks, 459 total, not too bad.

Are those jba gasket garbage?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it, ordered some gaskets as well. I like those nordlocs on headers. Easier to deal with than all the tabs and such on stage 8s imo.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Bassani

I just got a set of Bassani shorties for my 96 Bronco, they were backordered from AutoAnything ($525). They are some of the best quality headers I've ever seen. I had a set of the Pacesetters at first and they looked ok, just too small.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need them ASAP o.0 Does that EGR tube coming from the rear port make a difference?

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JBAs showed up.

Holy hell the difference is amazing. It took me about 15 minutes to put on the driver's side. The Passenger side is a hell of a time with those three rear bolts, but I'll finish up when the sun comes up.

EGR needed just a tap to line up. Can't wait to drive down to the exhaust shop to have the rest done and see the difference.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts