Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
A few of you might recall a few months back when I posted about my break troubles on my 1990 Bronoc.
The problem I was/am having is the ABS and brake lights will come on and then shortly after the right rear passenger tire will lock up on me.
This only happens on the Right rear tire only....

Here's what I have done to try and remedy the problem...

1. Pulled the RABS codes....Says everything is fine.
2. Bled and repositioned the proportioning valve.
3. Brake Pads and shoes replaced. Installed correct. No fluid contaminates.
4. The tire's have about 80%-90% tread on them . Rotated regularly.
5. parking brake cables checked
6. Drum has been checked to make sure it isn't out of round.
7. The spring assembly has been checked to makes sure it is an exact mirrored version of the left drivers side.
8. The Star adjuster and the metal tab that retains the position of the adjuster have been checked.
9. Brakes adjusted

Does anybody have an Ideas as what could still be causing the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

TIA

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Did you replace all the springs. They are cheap enough that you could replace them everytime you do your brakes. Is your wheel cylinder sticking? How is your rubber brake line coming down from the frame? Did you adjust the brakes equally? Try backing off on the adjuster to see what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
No I didn't replace the springs as they still looked useable but I will check on some new ones.
The wheel cylinders have been replaced,I knew I forgot to mention something.
I'm not sure what you mean by "How is your rubber brake line coming down from the frame"?
Its unobstructed with no kinks or any wearing.

The brakes are adjusted as equal as I could get them tightening them and then backing off the same amount.
I have tried backing off the adjuster and it helps for about a day maybe two tops but then the same symptoms and problem return almost immediately.

Thanks for your reply and help.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I had a problem with my front brakes wearing down quickly and was told to check/replace the rubber lines. I forget what he said, exactly, but he convinced me to replace them. I doubt it would apply in your case.

Forget about tightening the brake adjusters and then backing them off, that's a shitty way of doing them. The best way I find to them is raise the rear end and with the tires still mounted back off both brakes till they are free from the drums. Now tighten the brake on one side until it just starts to rub against the drum. Now do the same on the other side. You now know they are adjusted the same. You also may want to replace the adjusters or make sure they move freely. Cover the threads with an anti sieze compound.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
waltman said:
Forget about tightening the brake adjusters and then backing them off, that's a shitty way of doing them. The best way I find to them is raise the rear end and with the tires still mounted back off both brakes till they are free from the drums. Now tighten the brake on one side until it just starts to rub against the drum. Now do the same on the other side. You now know they are adjusted the same. You also may want to replace the adjusters or make sure they move freely. Cover the threads with an anti sieze compound.

That's how I usually adjust my brakes,only in reverse. I bring them up snug and then back it off until they just quit rubbing.
I will give your way a try tomorrow.

I had thought about replacing the adjusters but they seem to be fine and do move freely.

I'm really at a lose as to what the problem could be as it seems like I have tried everything under the sun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
19bronco90 said:
That's how I usually adjust my brakes,only in reverse. I bring them up snug and then back it off until they just quit rubbing.
I will give your way a try tomorrow.

I had thought about replacing the adjusters but they seem to be fine and do move freely.

I'm really at a lose as to what the problem could be as it seems like I have tried everything under the sun.
I am having *exactly* the same problem with my 93. Just the RH rear drum is dragging after replacing darn near everything with new. What ended up fixing your brakes? What ended up being the cause of the problem? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts