Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just got a 4" lift for my Bronc and I have a couple of questions for ya; I did search but couldn't find any answers to my questions.

First off, after I started cleaning the parts in preparation for the install I came across this:

The drivers side TTB drop bracket has broken and been repaired(?), I believe the lift is made by Rancho, as the radius arms looke lik the straight style and it came with a full set of RS5000's.

What do you welders out there think of the repair made to this part?
Does it look like it could hold up? (I don't wheel very hard, mostly just use my truck to get to my favorite campin spots with some mild logging road wheelin.)
Could it be further welded and still be usable or am I hooped and should be looking for another one?:doh0715:

Also, I got a set of rear leafs with the gear and they seem to be ford leafs; that is they have a Ford logo on them and look factory. They have the following numbers stamped into them:

F4TA JB
EW3 294A

pic:

I don't suppose anybody out there knows what these might be from?

Thanx in advance for any advice/assistance you might have.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
As for the rear leaf springs, if they are 3" wide that's what Ford used on the fullsize Bronco. The length from eye to eye should be about 52 inches. A pack with 5 leaves or 4 plus the short overload was used on the Broncos with the trailering package. I can check my old springs for a part number if needed.

As for the welding, I call that style "mud dauber". Either the person was not a good welder or tried to repair the bracket while it was on the Bronco, and welding overhead. IT's hard to get a nice, continuous bead without it running and dropping back down on your head/mask. It also looks like they made several beads, like this " * ", to either cover more than one crack or fix a previous repair that didn't hold. It's up to you whether or not to trust someone else's skill, but judging only from your pics I would not use that item on my rig!!!:toothless

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
those are skyjacker class II axle drop mounts. you can get a replacment set from chris @4wheel customes in the vendor section. or i would goto a qualified welding shjop and see if they feel it can be repaired. this holds the front axle to the frame.
here wee mine i just installed

the other fix might be to have the welding shop just weld the mount to the frame and not use the bad spot and sink grade 8 bolts in the other holes for a back up?

this is the mount installed.

mike

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would clean em up, grind that weld outta there and see exactly what you are dealing with.. You could run a bead in the crack/cut depending how deep/long/wide it is.. I would probably clean it out, weld it, grind it flat, and plate it.. Itll hold up just fine if you do that..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took it to a local hole-in-the-wall welder here, old guy named Joe. he took one look at it and said "somebody shit on it..." :rofl:

Anyways, $20 and 15 minutes later, I have a piece that I won't feel anxiety about in my truck as I'm wheelin around.

crackhead - he basically did exactly what you said, cleaned it up and welded the crack on the other side - the difference between his welds and the original ones are pretty obvious even to a noob welder such as myself.
The piece looks and feels pretty damned solid to me now!

Anyways, thanks guys!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts