Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help Asap: Engine Wont Turn Over (No Spark)

EDIT** AS OF 11AM THIS MORNING THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED, THE IGNITION CONTROL MODULE WAS BLOWN AND REPLACED AND NOW IT WORKS

I dont know wtf happened..

Ive had my bronco sitting for a few hours, maybe 3 before starting my oil change... The car was running before the oil change when i brought it home to work on the interior..

I did the oil change, added 5 quarts of new fresh oil and a new oil filter..

(Full tank of gas, and already used carb cleaner to see if that helped)

Tried to start the car and it wont turn over.. :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

WTF...

Seriously.. It just sits there and wont kick over at all.. I got a fully charged batter and a brand new starter, nothing was touched AT ALL other than the oil filter and changing the oil..

I gotta go to work in 6 hours so I need desperate fast help..

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Pop your hood and go to the passenger side inner fender. Use a screwdriver to connect the LARGE post (the one that goes directly to the battery, and has a bunch of other wires on it) to the SMALL post on the top of the starter relay. That will activate the relay and engage the starter. If your key is ON it should start. If it doesnt work, then your problem is easy to track down....post the results.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Spin the crank with a wrench, see if it's seized (doubt it is, just a place to start).
check cables, it's easy to hit a starter cable while yer under there changing oil, if one was bad you may have sent it over the edge.
I normally dont suggest this, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do....
Jump the starter relay with a screw driver or whatever.
or
Take a pair of jumper cables and go from the + battery to the starter post on the relay. Or if you're really screwed, you can go from the bat straight to the starter (definately not suggested, but again, it'll get you out of a bind)
If the starters dead-- Is it an automatic? If not, push start :) I have bump started autos before, but you have to be going 30ish mph (hope you live ontop of a mountain), and not good for the tranny from what I've heard.

Edit: I cant type fast enough to stay ahead of all the help :)

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spin the crank with a wrench, see if it's seized (doubt it is, just a place to start).
check cables, it's easy to hit a starter cable while yer under there changing oil, if one was bad you may have sent it over the edge.
I normally dont suggest this, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do....
Jump the starter relay with a screw driver or whatever.
or
Take a pair of jumper cables and go from the + battery to the starter post on the relay.
I doubt its seized, the belts start turning just fine.

is the pump turning on?
Will check that out, is it supposed to be loud enough to hear? is it under the rear passenger or rear driver side? cause i didnt hear anything near either side.

did you try crossing the poles on the starter relay?...it will help elimnate that its the starter.
have no idea how to do that LOL

Pop your hood and go to the passenger side inner fender. Use a screwdriver to connect the LARGE post (the one that goes directly to the battery, and has a bunch of other wires on it) to the SMALL post on the top of the starter relay. That will activate the relay and engage the starter. If your key is ON it should start. If it doesnt work, then your problem is easy to track down....post the results.
will try that right now, although im not entirely sure what you referring to, got any photos to help me out?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Jumpimg the relay is easy, just remember The motor is going to crank be sure it's in neutral/park, and your HANDS are away from the fan!!
Sorry about the quality of the pic.

Red circle is large terminal goes to battery. Blue is the small post/wire (goes to ignition switch) Yellow is large post to starter. theres another small post opposite the blue one, may or may not be used on your application.

Use anything, screwdriver, jumper cables, whatever, connect the red and blue posts. Don't use your snap-on screw driver, it'll get a nice arc burn in it. You WILL get a spark when doin this. If the starter and relay are good, it will crank. If the starter or starter cable is bad, but relay is good, you'll get a "click" noise. If the relay or bat cable is bad, you may not get a spark, and no click.

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
it should buzz, its pretty easy to hear if your not surrounded by noise.
its in the tank. turn the key to the on positon with out starting it. and listen
it primes for about 2secs before it shuts off. have some one turn the key to the on position for you while you lay under the tank with your listening ears on

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Jumpimg the relay is easy, just remember The motor is going to crank be sure it's in neutral/park, and your HANDS are away from the fan!!
Sorry about the quality of the pic.

Red circle is large terminal goes to battery. Blue is the small post/wire (goes to ignition switch) Yellow is large post to starter. theres another small post opposite the blue one, may or may not be used on your application.

Use anything, screwdriver, jumper cables, whatever, connect the red and blue posts. Don't use your snap-on screw driver, it'll get a nice arc burn in it. You WILL get a spark when doin this. If the starter and relay are good, it will crank. If the starter or starter cable is bad, but relay is good, you'll get a "click" noise. If the relay or bat cable is bad, you may not get a spark, and no click.
Just curious, what are you trying to say? Take a screwdriver and pull off the small connector (blue circle) and lay the screwdriver ontop of it and set it down on to the (red circle)

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cali this is what mine looks like edit my pic and lemme know what to do

and my father didnt hear anything in the gas tank at all when i turned the key on.. thats probably bad too

also does this wire do anything? found it unplugged and looked important

·
Registered
132 Posts
you have the classic style. Pull off the little red plug. jump that small post to the large one on the left with the red battery cable. It should crank. If you throw the key into the "on" position, it should start and get you to work.
I didn't see what year bronco it is, but if it's fuel injected, then it has an electric pump in the tank. sometimes they're pretty quit, but if you remember hearing it before, or, if someone is back there and listening and dosnt hear anything, that's a definate problem. (I believe) all efi fords have a safety inertia shutoff switch (to stop the electric pump when yer in an accident). You might have tripped it on accident. Somewhere theres a pushbutton reset. My mustang's is behind the inner panel in the back next to the driver tail light. No idea where on a bronco.....

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Use a large gauge wire, or a pair of insulated pliers and touch it to both LARGE posts, in your picture one wire is red and the other is black. This WILL engauge the starter if infact the battery is good, cables are good and the starter is good. Turn on the key before jumping the relay and it should start. if there is no other major problems.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I hate having multiple posts together, but I don't know what the "read" status is if I just edit..
That wire looks like just another ground, if yer reffering to the one I'm seeing (kinda blurry), not serious, but should be hooked up somewhere.
BigBroncoXLT's way will bypass the relay, cranking the engine if the starter/cables are good. My way will bypass the ignition switch/wiring to and from- but the relay still has to be good.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didnt crank at all... and now I think my batteries dead cause its not even allowing me to start the thing..

now when I do this, is the key supposed to be off or in the accessory position or all the way on?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you're tryin to diagnose, leave the key off. It will crank but not start. If you want to go for a ride, turn the key to "run/on" and it will crank, fire, and idle. You can then go to work (just dont let it stall).
If your batterys dead, get a jump. That could be the whole problem (?)

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
All the way on if you want it to start.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It wont start, but the starter works just fine.

Any ideas?

Gonna try a jump to see if that works when the 2nd car comes home tonight, if that fails I need some more ideas on what to test.

How do i check the fuel pump relay and inertia switch? EDIT Scratch that, there's no fuel pump relay on mine.. lol

I need ideas and I need ideas fast..

EDIT 2

Called autozone and told her my problem... She said its gonna be spark problem.. she said remove the iggy coil and go have it tested. Also she said to check the fuel pump by removing the line from the filter and seeing if it gets gas through the line.. and doing the same to test the fuel filter..

Probably gonna replace the ignition coil, anything else in that area that would cause a no spark?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If it's the bronco in your profile, take off the air cleaner, look down the carb barrels, hit the gas pedal (or linkage) and see if any gas squirts.
Take a spark plug wire off a plug, leave the wire connected to the cap, jam a crappy screwdriver into the rubber boot end. Hold the screw driver close to the frame, but not touching (or another clean, good ground, intake or block WHERE THERE IS NO LEAKING GASOLINE, away from the battery) and crank the motor, you should see and hear an arc.

Check for spark/gas before you start swappin parts.
When was the last time you put fuel in it? Do you have a locking gas cap? Did a neighbor get tired of gas prices and decide to bust out the garden house and do a little "fuel liberating" of the vehicles on the block?

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
There wouldnt be a fuel pump relay when there's no electric fuel pump. ;) An '85 would be carbed - mech pump.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts