Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help to choose shocks.
coilover or not? is FOX the best?
i will be using the Bronco in forest/pavement terrain.
links where to buy is the best, but only the name will help :D
thanks.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Are you planning on replacing then front springs? if not then there is no need to even mention coilovers.

In higher end shocks you will have a hard time going wrong as long as you don't get the wrong valving or something that is going to bottom out, or not have enough travel.

I personaly don't think fox is a bad shock, but I think you get to pay a little more for the name. I would look at billsteins, but for a stockish rig anything more then 5100's would be overkill IMHO.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you planning on replacing then front springs? if not then there is no need to even mention coilovers.

In higher end shocks you will have a hard time going wrong as long as you don't get the wrong valving or something that is going to bottom out, or not have enough travel.

I personaly don't think fox is a bad shock, but I think you get to pay a little more for the name. I would look at billsteins, but for a stockish rig anything more then 5100's would be overkill IMHO.
i was thinking of the frontshocks :)
5100's of what?
and btw thanks!

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
i was thinking of the frontshocks :)
5100's of what?
and btw thanks!
Coilovers are a shock with a coil around the shock itself. A stock bronco has a seperate spring and shock. So unless you are planning on changing the front springs AND the shocks, coilovers are not for you. If you are planning this you will have to fabricate a way to mount them as the factory shock mount is not strong enough to support the weight of the front of the bronco

The 5100's are a line of shocks from billstein. They also have 5125's and 5150's (IIRC) which would work just as well. Just depends on what you want to spend.

·
Premium Member
1991 Ford Bronco, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
416 Posts
Blisten 5100's are great. I just upgraded from chitty Superlift shocks and it made a world of difference. I have quad fronts, but even with just the main shocks installed before the auxiliary shocks were mounted it drove better and smoother than the quad Superlifts. I am also running Blisten on the rear as well. Around $489ish for 4" lift a little over $530 for 6".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coilovers are a shock with a coil around the shock itself. A stock bronco has a seperate spring and shock. So unless you are planning on changing the front springs AND the shocks, coilovers are not for you. If you are planning this you will have to fabricate a way to mount them as the factory shock mount is not strong enough to support the weight of the front of the bronco

The 5100's are a line of shocks from billstein. They also have 5125's and 5150's (IIRC) which would work just as well. Just depends on what you want to spend.
is coilover's better? or do it just take less place?
is Billstein the best of the best, not on price

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
is coilover's better? or do it just take less place?
is Billstein the best of the best, not on price
If your mostly stock I would say stay with the stock set-up. If you plan on some major upgrades then they might be an upgrade due to the adjustability and ability to be fine tuned.

I would not say billsteins are the best of the best, but the best you should buy for 99% of the rigs on this site. Thats what I plan on running when I finally do my d60 swap

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
I use Ranchos. I have them on my F-150 4X4 too and they are still good after 144,000 miles. Ranchos are good shocks. Look 'em up.:thumbup

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do anyone got Fox shocks?
i was thinking of Fox since that is what the F150 SVT Raptor has, and that got a pretty smooth suspension system :thumbup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts