Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys First off i did SEARCH so please don't tell me to. lol.

What i'm wondering is if the TRE's between the 5 lug dana 44s and the 8 lug 44s are the same? Would the stuff for a 78/79 F150 work? i ask this question because I am doing an 8lug 44 swap from a 79 F250 in my 96 F-150. I need to figure out the steering situation.

I know I "should" do a high steer or do Chevy TRE's with DOM tubing, but thats out of the budget. I do some wheeling, but mainly a tow rig and its my snow plower so stock stuff will be fine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if anyone knows what parts I would need that would be awesome. or if someone has any advice. Please help out guys. I know theres some pretty knowledgeable dudes on here. Don't let me down.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ok guys First off i did SEARCH so please don't tell me to. lol.

What i'm wondering is if the TRE's between the 5 lug dana 44s and the 8 lug 44s are the same? Would the stuff for a 78/79 F150 work? i ask this question because I am doing an 8lug 44 swap from a 79 F250 in my 96 F-150. I need to figure out the steering situation.

I know I "should" do a high steer or do Chevy TRE's with DOM tubing, but thats out of the budget. I do some wheeling, but mainly a tow rig and its my snow plower so stock stuff will be fine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if anyone knows what parts I would need that would be awesome. or if someone has any advice. Please help out guys. I know theres some pretty knowledgeable dudes on here. Don't let me down.

Thanks in Advance.

I'm pretty sure they should be the same... Not for sure tho. Check and see if your stock TTB ones fit. Cuz i'm pretty sure again that the TTB ones are the same at the 1/2 ton SA D44 ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i looked up part numbers and taper specs and the 96ttb does not match up with the 79 hd44. i did find that the left TRE is the same on f150 and f250's from 79. but i cant figure out if the right is. A local ford guru told me that the two sides were different. is this true? hopefully not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
tried it

ur stock ttb will fit but the driver side hole is a lil bigger

·
Premium Member
14,615 Posts
For the axle right side tie rod the D44 HD's is a bit longer in length vs. 1/2 ton D44 tie rod why I dunno... as for the draglink you can use a F350's draglink from a truck with a d60.

If you interested Ive got a brand new HD d 44 right side tie rod.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the axle right side tie rod the D44 HD's is a bit longer in length vs. 1/2 ton D44 tie rod why I dunno... as for the draglink you can use a F350's draglink from a truck with a d60.

If you interested Ive got a brand new HD d 44 right side tie rod.
Well does your pass side tie rod/ center link have a hole for the drag link to mount to? because the stock one did not due to the goofy half moon arm coming off the drivers side knuckle. If so how much are you asking and where are u located.

·
Premium Member
14,615 Posts
Well does your pass side tie rod/ center link have a hole for the drag link to mount to? because the stock one did not due to the goofy half moon arm coming off the drivers side knuckle. If so how much are you asking and where are u located.
Yes, it has a hole for the drag link to mount to. The actually application for the Tie rod I have is from an 86 F350 with a solid D60. Im located in Florida

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so the pass side on a 86 F350 and my 79 dana 44 are the same?

·
Premium Member
14,615 Posts
The D60 and D44 hd are the same width and taper. It will bolt right up ( Go with the D60 TRE assembly out of a 80-86 F350 dont mix match HDd44 part with it)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i have it all up and running. The pass side center link for an 86 F350 worked, but the 86 F350 Drivers side TRE did not fit. I ended up salvaging the old drivers side TRE. Then got a Drag link and Pitman arm TRE and everything bolted up fine. Just have to have it aligned n mount the steering stabilizer.

I have some pics of my SAS so ill try and get those posted some time.

·
Premium Member
14,615 Posts
Well i have it all up and running. The pass side center link for an 86 F350 worked, but the 86 F350 Drivers side TRE did not fit. I ended up salvaging the old drivers side TRE. Then got a Drag link and Pitman arm TRE and everything bolted up fine. Just have to have it aligned n mount the steering stabilizer.

I have some pics of my SAS so ill try and get those posted some time.
Glad everything worked for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What year, make drag link did you use? do you have any measurements?

I asked for a drag link from a 96 F-350. but the 96 and 86 came up with the same part # so it really doesnt matter. I dont have any measurements.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts