Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Help deciding between 2 calibers of guns.

• .7mm Remington Magnum

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • .270 Winchester

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help deciding between 4 calibers of guns.

I know we have some avid gun guys on here.
I need some help deciding between four calibers of guns:

The first: 7mm Remington Magnum

The second: .270 Winchester

The third: 30.06

The fourth: .308

I've never shot a 7mm but have shot a .270. My dad owns a .270 right now and his dad had a "Supposedly" VERY rare left handed, bolt action .270 700 ADL Deluxe.

Now I need some opinions as to which to go with???

This is also my first gun seeing as I just turned 17.

I'm pretty much tolerant to "Almost" any recoil off of a gun. I pretty much shoot any of my dad's guns EXTREMELY well, basically anything in my crosshairs, or sight, is going down.

The guns being: a Bolt action .22 mag, a pump action .22, a 12ga shotgun, a 16ga shotgun, a .45 cal muzzleloader, and the .270.

Now as far as what i'm hunting it'll be only Deer, and Wild Hogs for now.

The Rem 700 Adl i'm looking at comes in .243, .270, 30.06, and .7mm Mag. Well I've also shot .223, .243, .270, 30.06 to(sorry forgot to mention). I was impressed with the 30.06 but more so with my dad's .270. He has some bullets for the .270 called "Teflon Coated Ballistic Tips", shot some wild pigs with them and my god.......

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
unless your going brown or griz hunting dont buy the 7mm mag. i've fired 2-3 and they all hurt. if its between those 2 id get the .270 but if i was buying a new hunting rifle i would buy either a 7mm-08 or a .30-06. the 7mm-08 is an AWESOME!!! cartridge low recoil but can do anything the .308 can do. .30-06 is my favorite, i like the bullet selection. i can load anything from 110gr bullets all the way up to 220gr.

inspect your remington very well prior to purchase, their quality control has been slipping the last few years. if i was you i would look into 3 other rifles; the ruger m77, marlin xl7(its what i have and with handloads will shoot just over an inch at 100 yards.), and savage.

all are very nice accurate rifles and come in a veriety of calibers.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I'm with PaintBall on this. I've been a 30-06 or.308 person and haven't had a need for anything else. My friend swears by his 7mm-08 and I've seen him take some good shots and long range and dropped the deer in her tracks. I am impressed with it needless to say. I just like the 30-06 for the sole reason that it's available in so many different loadings you can buy off the shelf that there is easily something out there for you ranging from varmint loads to Grizzly if used properly.

Also, remember this. The 30-06 has been turning Cover into Concealment for over 100 years.

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what i've been talking with my dad and uncle(has ALOT of guns), and with the amount of money I have, these are the four calibers i'm going to now decide between: .270, .7mm, 30.06, .308.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have to put my two cents in for a .30-06. It'll pretty much knock down anything you have any business shooting at. If you're set on choosing between .270 and the 7mm, I've heard that 7mm is supposed to have a really nice flat trajectory throughout the flight path, but you'd probably need pretty nice optics to take real advantage of that. My buddy has a Savage 7mm 08, it hits hard and has plenty of knockdown power, but my God the recoil is hellacious. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
.270 is fine for white tail but I was just getting 1, I'd go with a .30 06. It'll take anything on this continent. Great round with great ballistics and a huge selection of ammo.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
The 30-06 is the most versitle. When I bought my Remington 700 BDL "custom deluxe", I was in the market looking for the .270. I ended up with the 30-06, and am glad I did. Because, I have been putting in for bear permits (haven't got one yet), the .270 might be a little light for that.

I've had my BDL for 13 years now, and nothing has ran more than 20 yards. Most go down in their tracks, only because I go for neck shots (I hate tracking, and makes less mess in the chest cavity). I shoot 180 grain reminton round nose as I hunt in a lot of brush. The 7mm can be a monster, fair warning, but usually only when sighting in. When your hunting, you feel nothing, and hear nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
X whatever for the 30-06. All of the above will do what you are gonna ask of it. The 30-06 has more versatility than the other rounds and can be found just about anywhere that sells ammo.

Good luck with your choice.

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
What should I look for when I buy the Remington 700?
check the action for burs well but the most common thing is in fit and finish. check the stock really well for nicks and dings, also check the bluing for thin spots(itll be a lighter color) and scratches along the barrel and receiver.

. My buddy has a Savage 7mm 08, it hits hard and has plenty of knockdown power, but my God the recoil is hellacious. Just some food for thought.
7mm-08 with a bad recoil????? are u sure? 7mm-08 is a necked down .308 it has less kick that a .308

7mm mag has a huge recoil. it's left a bruise on my shoulder every time i've fired one.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It would take a couple of pages to cover everything you need to consider when buying your gun. First of all let me say I have been shooting for 35 years. I own and shoot all of the calibers you mentioned except the .270. The reason I don't shoot the .270 is because until recently the heaviest bullet offered in factory loads was 130gr. When considering your first gun it is important to take in your physical build. If you are an average 17 year old at 5'9"-5'10" and around 160-170lbs any of the calibers in a bolt action with a Simms recoil pad will suit you fine. As a new gun owner it would be advisable to keep your shots under 200yds. My personal favorite is a Remington model 7 youth in 7mm-08. I hunt a lot of heavy woods and swamp and the 16 1/2" barrel is perfect yet I can shoot accurately out to 350yds because I have a very good scope. The scope actually cost about 50% more than the rifle did. My best long range gun is a remington 700BDL in .280 Remington. Mind you I handload my stuff because even 30-06 ammo is $16-$18 abox and if you get in to the premium stuff it is more like $25 a box. The higher cost discourages practice. Living in OK your deer are not particularly large when compared to here in WI. or up in Canada so all of the calibers you chose will kill deer cleanly at 300+ yds. I am very dedicated to the Remingtons especially the older stuff. My gun routinely shoots groups under an inch at a 100yds using a bench rest and sandbags. Not that the others won't, but I also like the actions on the Remingtons because they don't feel as clunky to me. My .280 was special ordered by me in 1981and is actually called the 7mm Remington Express. It has never let me down once and has been through hell and back. This all said the only gun I would still consider buying is a 7mm mag. I load for 2 guys; one shoots a Ruger and one an old Model Rem 700, both bolts. With the proper load this caliber is good for everything. I have watched both of those guns shoot 6" groups at 400yds with handloads, a good bench and sand bags. Whichever you chose shoot it lots and practice at all of your possible ranges. The last buck I killed out in Kansas was at over 500yds.
Swamp

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm 6'1'' 190 lbs. And I've been shooting since I was 10 so i'm pretty confident I can shoot out past 200yds. But i'm going with the .270 because 1: my dad has ALOT of ammo for it. 2. Ammo costs less than a 7mm Mag.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I had to sell all of my firearms, my Rem 700 ADL in .30-06 would be the last to go. Very happy with the distance, accuracy and bullet selection.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You won't be dissapointed with the .270 I can shoot out to 400 yards with only a 3.5 in drop with 130 grain. Get alot of practice and get used to your scope and gun combo

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
i have really been getting back into bench shooting and i would go with the .308 out of the 4 choices. definately the best choice. i would get the 700 action too. a short action 700 and .308 is still pretty much a standard in accuracy and performance.
if i went with something other than your choices it would be the 6.5 creedmoor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts