Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 F150 5.4 XLT 4x4 that recently died after 30 mins of idling, i had recently got the truck from a friend where it say for a while but the past few weeks it ran fine. The truck will only start with starting fluid for about 5-10 seconds until it dies again.I checked the fuel cut off switch and pushed the button and its not tripped, and the fuel pump is still coming on, the relay is good and checked power from the fuse panel and everything is good, the fuel pump driver module was just replaced, and i just replaced the fuel filter and the gas on the front side was clear and the gas on the side closest to the pump where the gas goes in was dark and looked like apple cider. i primed the fuel filter and everything by turning the key back and forth and all that and still no start, all relays and battery is good. so im completely stumped at this point because ive tried everything i can think of or what ive looked up to check.
And there is NO check engline light on!
There was a CEL when it first died so i checked the code and it was for fuel rail position sensor then it went away, i even changed it out just to be safe.
and the week before it died it was throwing a VVT sensor code so i changed that and the camshaft position senor for the drivers side and was running and driving perfectly.

anyone have any other ideas or have had the same issues and fixed it. PLEASE & THANK YOU!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Cider colored gas gas went bad, how long did it sit before you got it, or how did old gas get put in the tank. Old gas caramelizes, you likely clogged something up, check the filter if it’s online to be sure the arrow on the housing matches the direction you need it to flow. Without being under the hood it’s hard to tell.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just under half of a tank. it been on a flat surface

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cider colored gas gas went bad, how long did it sit before you got it, or how did old gas get put in the tank. Old gas caramelizes, you likely clogged something up, check the filter if it’s online to be sure the arrow on the housing matches the direction you need it to flow. Without being under the hood it’s hard to tell.
i just replaced the filter yesterday and arrow is in the right direction, with the gas being like that im going to drop the tank and pull the fuel pump out and go through it all, i know some pumps have that cloth filter on it so it might be all clogged and gunked up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and going to clean out the throttle body and reset the PCM, saw some videos from ford mechanics saying to reeset PCM because it needs to be reset after everything being all gunked out to go back to the right fuel/air ratio in order for it to run where it should

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cleaned throttle body, reset PCM and still no start, then removed fuel hose to see if fuel was pushing through so im leading towards fuel pump, so ill be taking that out in the next 2 days

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i ended up removing the fuel pump and i look in the tank and the tank is completely empty! so i look at the fuel pump and the float isnt connected to the measuring arm that reads where the gas is and its just sitting at just below a half tank which is what my gas gauge read. 🤬
so it was giving me a false reading because of the float not being connected and no fuel being in the truck. so i shop vac'd all crap from the tank and the small amount of gas that was covering the bottom of the tank and today im going to throw the pump back in and fill it up and prays it starts lol 🙏🙄

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i ended up breaking one of the male pieces that the fuel line connects to removing the pump, the ring where it locks pretty much crumbled when i pulled it off, so the good pump i had became trash so had to go grab a new pump and waste money on that, and filled it with gas and ran like a dream, then drove it down the street and main power steering line from the pump to the gear blew and left me with no power steering so now i have to replace that along with possibly the steering switch that it has on that specific hose, just my luck! :rolleyes:(n):poop:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Welcome to old rigs... As i was once told by a man much wiser then me, u just get it all fixed just to have to start it all over again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to old rigs... As i was once told by a man much wiser then me, u just get it all fixed just to have to start it all over again.
HAHAH YUP USUALLY HOW IT WORKS LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts