Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the process of replacing my ball joints, and in doing so I've broken one of the spindle nut spacer things. the othen was cracked in 2 places. i need help finding this spindle nut spacer thing. i went to the ford dealer here and they had 2 different ones in stock and nether of them where the right one. then they ordered the othen one and that one was close but not the right amount of splines. so if any could direct me in the right direction that would be appreciative. here a few pictures of what i have.

it is on a 89 full size bronco. 302, auto tran, i believe the front end is the spicier 44 (or whatever is stock) it has had powertrax lockers installed. I'm not sure if it had auto hubs stock or not. has manual hubs now tho. and i cant find a tag for the diff, I've looked all over the front end trying to find it. even looked in the glove box and center counsel.

here is both of um. the one in 3 pieces was the driver side and the othen is the passenger side

here a closer look at the cracked one

and the driver spindle

and the passenger spindle

thank for the help on every thing so far.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
Junkyard. I have pulled many hubs and never came across them. I remvoed mine when I did the Warn premium hubs and just have a steel thrsut washer in there. Not sure if the dealer can get them..

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Just go to a driveline shop or any gear shop. They'll probably have them hanging on the wall. I know the onces here do.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,062 Posts
That spacer is for the 5 bolt auto hubs. Just get rid of the garbage hubs and get some manuals, then you won't have to worry about that stinkin washer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it already has superwinch manual hubs on it. thats why i don't know if it was auto or manual to begin with.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,062 Posts
it already has superwinch manual hubs on it. thats why i don't know if it was auto or manual to begin with.
Well then, toss em. You don't need them. The c clip that goes in front of that washer, toss it too.

Your truck originally had auto hubs. Someone converted it, and left them in there. They're not needed no more. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
89 Bronco XLT - 302 EFI - AOD
208 Posts
That spacer is for the 5 bolt auto hubs. Just get rid of the garbage hubs and get some manuals, then you won't have to worry about that stinkin washer.
I was gonna say....lol....i have an 89 with manual hubs and i dont have anything in there that looks like that!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
today i went to get the bearings and wheel seals and the right ones were for the auto hubs. so it looks like i did have auto hubs. and I've got manual hubs on it now, so i don't need that spacer and clip then?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,062 Posts
. so it looks like i did have auto hubs. and I've got manual hubs on it now, so i don't need that spacer and clip then?
Correct. When the auto hubs are installed, only a smidgen of the splines marry into the hub. The washer is there to lock the axle shaft from falling out of the auto hub.

·
Super Moderator
25,760 Posts
yo,
Yeah, do what the guys say and it'll be a-ok

For da record;
Dana 44 Parts Break-Out Diagrams w/ Auto & Manual Locking Hubs & BoM; 6 MB PDF
Source: by 2.dana.com
See page 122

1 - 12 of 12 Posts