Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done an engine swap for my Bronco but I have yet to fire my it after the swap as I am awaiting a new radiator. What came to my attention, after jacking the front back up off of the floor and reinstalling the tires, is that the engine is in at an angle.

The carb ended up oriented North/South as that was the only way I could fit the cables. They do have carb wedges on Summit that are 8 degree with the 4 holes bored like the Clifford plate.

Should I get one of these wedges? With shipping I am looking at (another) hundred bucks. I think I probably should get one but am looking for a second oppinion from someone that is both familiar with the Ford 300 AND the Bronco.

Thanks guys

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,857 Posts
could you post a pic, that might help a little.

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
Wow, that is one fine looking 300.

My 300 sits like that in my engine bay. It took me by surprise when I first noticed it, but yeah, that seems to be how they like to sit.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I'm running an Offy 'C' series with my carb mounted the same way. Been working fine for several years, no wedges.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well (assuming) if everyone else's runs right tilted... why wont yours?

I'm sure that it can run tilted. I would guess that most people have the Offy intake for their 6's. The Offy actually has compensated slightly for the angle. If you take a look at an Offy you will notice that the back of the carb mount is slightly higher than the front. This is just a couple of degrees but does help compensate for the tilt of the engine.

The guys at fordsix.com have responded that if it is 5 degrees or more out of tilt then a wedge would be in order. I have to drive up steep grades here as we live on the side of the mountains. So, I decided to get it leveled up with an 8 degree wedge.

I am probably being overly particular.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Well if the gurus at fordsix.com think you need a wedge, you made a good choice by deferring to their knowledge.

Those guys always help me out when I'm in a bind

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about just loosing the Clifford, get the Offenhauser and call it a day!

Heh, I went with the Clifford as it is water heated. I understand that in this cold wet climate the Offy would be less than ideal. I could have ordered up an Offy and came up with something to heat it but it is too late now. The parts are here and the money is spent.

Yeah, the guys at fordsix.com do know the inlines. But here at FSB people know the Bronco and going off road so it's good to get information from both forums.

I just can't wait until it is running again!

Oh, and the wedge is on the way! So, I should be finished up under the hood when the radiator and carb wedge arrives and hopefully be back on the road in a couple of weeks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts