Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my old muffler off, so my cheap ass new one can go on and I will thus be able to pass inspection. I have soaked the damned thing with pb blaster for 4 days now, and after busting every knuckle trying to get the u clamps off I just cut them off with my dremel tool and a cut off wheel. Now I can't get the muffler off. I have beat the hell outta that thing and have had no luck what-so-ever.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Get an adapter pipe to extend it, and use a sawzall to cut the pipe off where the muffler meets. Thats how I've always done it. If that made any sence.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

:thumbup

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
exhaust parts never just slip apart, learnt that at work when an tailpipe extension got hung up on the lift, i felt bad cutting up that big purdy chrome tip, almost always neet to be cut in my experience (we ain't got no fancy shmancy pullers)

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Take your skirt off, get some jeans on, and chop that shit off with a saw. You can't be nice to any exhaust parts that have been on for a long time.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take your skirt off, get some jeans on, and chop that shit off with a saw. You can't be nice to any exhaust parts that have been on for a long time.
Just bought a new saw, and pipe extensions. In the AM this will be completed, hope I don't wake the neighbors. On second thought I am moving this weekend anyway, so ****'em.

I actually beat the muffler off the overlap thing trying to get it off. Son of bitch is on there TIGHT....

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Hell yeah, man! Get in there and show that turd who's the boss. :rockon

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
yea exhaust parts like to stay together... And usually when you leave the clamp on, it makes it that much harder... Damn it took me 4 hours to figure it out.. :banghead

·
Registered
271 Posts
Make sure your muffler bearings haven't seized up and are being the culprit...:toothless

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Now I can't get the muffler off. I have beat the hell outta that thing and have had no luck what-so-ever.

Any help appreciated.
This is what I do with the sawzall, like Doba suggests

Lay waste to the sacrificial pipe. That being the one belonging to the old muffler, not the extension pipe you need to re-use.

You can jam the sawzall inside the sacrificial pipe or knaw on the outside of the pipe, depending on which one you ain't keeping.

Takes about one minute, saves the good pipe nearly every time and works like a charm

Sixlitre

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you can't make it fit with a hammer, get it off with a sawzall or hold it on with duct tape. It doesn't need to be done.

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
whats a muffler?

yeah i had to do what doba and six said...worked real well that sumbitch was corroded together

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
jslax04;1594595 yeah i had to do what doba and six said...worked real well that sumbitch was corroded together[/QUOTE said:
So many muffler shops and garages won't bother trying to save the pipe that's over or inside your muffler. They'd rather sell you another one.

That's why I use 3" header flanges($3.09 each at J.C.Whitney) between anything important now;

Two 9/16" wrenches and you can remove whatever you want without busting anything it's connected to.

Sure it's old tech, but I ain't payin' $70.00 a pair for these

Sixlitre

·
Registered
100 Posts
I pulled mine off last winter, and it was HARD. It took me hours. I didnt have a sawzall or anything. My first plan was to use a block of wood an a big ass hammer. That didnt work, then I got tired of holding the block of wood and just beat the piss out of it with said big hammer. Then I used a bigger hammer. Then I kicked it. Then I grew desperate and tried using a come-a-long hand winch to pull it off. That just bent the muffler up more. So I ended up using a hacksaw and my temper. What finally worked was when I grabbed the tailpipe and yanked it back and forth, and the shit finally came off. Then I remembered my dad had recently bought a sawzall, and it was just sitting in a box in my garage. Good times.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts