Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i pulled the dizzy and marked where it was. But i ended tuning the motor by hand accidently so i lost where it went. I have the timing cover off. now how do i time this motor?? I was told the timing pointer was wrong so where do I go from here? On the timing sprockets, when the 2 dots are lined up is that TDC? If not how do I tell on cyl #1 and where how do I aim the rotor? Thank you in advance for the help. I couldnt find anything in my haynes and chiltons.

Josh

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
cyliner 1 is the front passenger side and just point the the number 1 plug towards that. well thats what i did and it worked. i still got to get a timing light and do it right but for now it work well.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
why is the timing cover off??? what are you doing??
there are marks on the cam gear and crankshaft gear/...make sure they line up up and down...place the timing cover on...now look at the distributor cap and put it on the distributor...make a small mark on the plastic part of the distributor where the #1 plug wire goes...pull the cap off and turn the rotor until its just before #1...turn the motor over by hand or jump the starter solenoid with your finger over the spark plug hole on #1 cylinder...closest to you on passenger side...when you feel pressure push against your finger stop turning the motor over...drop the distributor in w/ the rotor pointing to #1...it may be 10 degrees or so off...but it will start

dc

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Since you have the timing cover off then yes, lining up the timing marks is TDC with #1 on the compression stroke. Line up the timing marks and put the dizzy in with the rotor pointing at #1. Make sure you set it with a timing light after starting it up.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i thought the number one cylinder was the one colsest to the radiator on the passenger side

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Oh man! :doh0715: Are you saying you tore your timing cover off just because you turned the motor over with the dizzy out? :twak
I've done that before as I'm sure many others have. All you have to do is line up your timing marks to 0 on your vibration dampener and you will be at top dead centre on your number 1 cylinder on either the compression stroke or your exhaust stroke. Since you have the timing cover off though, yes you have to line up those dots.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
waltman said:
Oh man! :doh0715: Are you saying you tore your timing cover off just because you turned the motor over with the dizzy out? :twak
Man, I didn't think that was the reason he pulled the timing cover off, I thought it was off for something else. I hope he didn't pull it off just because the engine got moved. If so then the question should've got posted here before going that far. Or better yet that can be found searching, it's been asked and answered so much.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Gacknar said:
Finding TDC for #1 and setting timing

1. Pull #1 spark plug.

2. Have a helper turn the engine over (fairly briskly) by hand using the crank bolt, and a cheater bar. You can also do this using the starter if you have good reflexes. I don't so I do it this way.

3. Place you thumb over the spark plug hole for #1

4. When you feel pressure building up behind your thumb, have your helper stop turning the engine .

You are now on the compression stroke

5. Turn the crank until the pointer is pointing at the 0 mark on the harmonic balancer.

You are know at TDC for #1 on the compression stroke.

6. Install the distributor with the rotor button pointing at the #1 terminal.

If you did every thing correctly the vehicle will now start.
You now need to set the timing.

7. Disconnect the spout, loosen distributor hold down bolt.

8. Attach the timing light to the #1 plug wire.

9. Start the vehicle.

10. With the engine running, rotate the distributor until the pointer shows 10* before top dead center

11. Turn off engine and tighten distributor bolt.

12. Restart engine and check timing again to confirm that timing did not change Dearing bolt tightening.

13. Reconnect spout.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am regasketing the motor, and putting a gear drive timing set in. The damn timing chain thats on there now has an inch of play. This is my donor motor going IN the bronco. Thank you for you help all. I thought thats what the dots on the gears were for.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Ragged_ol_86 said:
I am regasketing the motor, and putting a gear drive timing set in. The damn timing chain thats on there now has an inch of play. This is my donor motor going IN the bronco. Thank you for you help all. I thought thats what the dots on the gears were for.

my old motor had about that much play in it and it was still running strong.

ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts