Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT with 1995 5.8L e4OD
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been reading all over this trying to figure out my problem. It shifts great manually but when I put it into drive it won’t shift into second until 3000 rpm and drops into gear hard. When I push the pedal to floor and it tries to downshift it just revs up and doesn’t drop down into gear. I have read about the mlps, vas, and tps. Checked tps and it was bad so I replaced it. Not sure of vss. I tested voltage on mlps and shifting through all gears the return voltage is spot on. I pulled codes and the only one I’m getting is 622 (shift solenoid 2 not responding or whatever). I check all the wiring and have good continuity from ecm to solenoid. I check the fluid to just in case and it looked a little overfilled. I just don’t know where to go next. I’m not sure how to test the shift solenoid to see if it’s bad. Or maybe I should just change it out. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also opened up the eec and it all looks good. No blown capacitors or anything.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,300 Posts
How's your speedo working? Is it off? Do you have a PSOM? Have you adjusted your PSOM, if you have one? A PSOM out of adjustment will not only reflect the wrong speed on the gauge, it will mess with shift points too.
Your Bronco info displayed says nothing about gears, tire size, etc. so I'm just tossing out something that made a significant difference with my '95.

Appears you have a hybrid... and without a PSOM swapped in to feed the EEC, that might not be an easily fixed issue but you'll have to find smarter customizers than me to be sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How's your speedo working? Is it off? Do you have a PSOM? Have you adjusted your PSOM, if you have one? A PSOM out of adjustment will not only reflect the wrong speed on the gauge, it will mess with shift points too.
Your Bronco info displayed says nothing about gears, tire size, etc. so I'm just tossing out something that made a significant difference with my '95.

Appears you have a hybrid... and without a PSOM swapped in to feed the EEC, that might not be an easily fixed issue but you'll have to find smarter customizers than me to be sure.

Sorry it has 3.55 gears on 31” tires. The speedo seems to work fine. Is the psom just in ‘92 and up and in the gauge itself? Is this something that has to be swapped to enable the eec to shift correctly? I didn’t see an input on the pin out diagram.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,300 Posts
gears and tires sound find, just wanted to double check. PSOM (Programmable Speed / Odometer Module) is '92+ and is in the gauge cluster (Odometer reader+) but I don't know enough to deny or verify that last one.

My '95 had a pretty hard shift, until I re-programmed it for the 33" tires and 4.56 gears. Runs much smoother through the cycle with the E4OD now.

Somebody smarter might swing by. Tough to get quick info from the people who know over a holiday weekend.

Good luck though and welcome to FSB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gears and tires sound find, just wanted to double check. PSOM (Programmable Speed / Odometer Module) is '92+ and is in the gauge cluster (Odometer reader+) but I don't know enough to deny or verify that last one.

My '95 had a pretty hard shift, until I re-programmed it for the 33" tires and 4.56 gears. Runs much smoother through the cycle with the E4OD now.

Somebody smarter might swing by. Tough to get quick info from the people who know over a holiday weekend.

Good luck though and welcome to FSB.
Thanks for the input for sure! I appreciate anyone’s outlook on it. I’m in no hurry, just hope someone has had this problem that can help me out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have the same problem except the hard shifting, i need to be at a high rpm or over 20 mph to get it to shift up, im going to put some new springs in the valve body to see if it helps, the next culprit is the solenoid pack, if all else fails it might mean one of the few clutches it has is burned out

ill give you an update on sunday

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same problem except the hard shifting, i need to be at a high rpm or over 20 mph to get it to shift up, im going to put some new springs in the valve body to see if it helps, the next culprit is the solenoid pack, if all else fails it might mean one of the few clutches it has is burned out

ill give you an update on sunday
Awesome thank you

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i think i had a problem with the second accumulator spring, what you think? XD hahah any way tomorrow ill let you know how it drives, also added some lucas anti slip into the oil so lets see how that goes
mph geez! Ought to fix it I’d say!Was your throwing any codes before?

·
Registered
414 Posts
right on man! For sure let me know how it goes tomorrow
if you want the basic one, get the superior shift , i got it in a local transmission shop for 45 $ the whole kit, the one thing i didnt do in the kit was change the oil pump springs, so im not sure if it will hurt it or do nothing? as long as im not putting really hard springs i think it will be fine

·
Registered
414 Posts
right on man! For sure let me know how it goes tomorrow
Well sadly that didnt fix it, i think it made it worse, its now shifting pretty aggressively, not like a good kind of aggressive, more like a "truck moves" while shifting aggressive, hopefully tomorrow i can take it to a shop to see what is wrong :/

i think because i put a spacer where i shouldnt have and maybe over filled it, im going to get it checked out

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well sadly that didnt fix it, i think it made it worse, its now shifting pretty aggressively, not like a good kind of aggressive, more like a "truck moves" while shifting aggressive, hopefully tomorrow i can take it to a shop to see what is wrong :/

i think because i put a spacer where i shouldnt have and maybe over filled it, im going to get it checked out
dang it, sad to hear. I pulled the accumulator off and it check out. I check my solenoid and the tcc is not opening so I guess ill replace it. I just don’t know which to go with. I have a maf eec so I want to upgrade to the 1995+ solenoid pack but not sure it they are the same other than the diodes not being present.

·
Registered
414 Posts
dang it, sad to hear. I pulled the accumulator off and it check out. I check my solenoid and the tcc is not opening so I guess ill replace it. I just don’t know which to go with. I have a maf eec so I want to upgrade to the 1995+ solenoid pack but not sure it they are the same other than the diodes not being present.
i would stick with the year you have because im pretty sure you need to splice it to connect it to the correct connector

man the only other option is the solenoids and im not 100% that will work

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i would stick with the year you have because im pretty sure you need to splice it to connect it to the correct connector

man the only other option is the solenoids and im not 100% that will work
yeah I just don’t know what year I have because it has diodes on it so I would think an early model but then the connector is like the late model style.

·
Registered
414 Posts
From my research its a older model because the connector walls are thin and the newer ones like 95 are thick walls,
if im wrong im sorry XD

also how did you test it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From my research its a older model because the connector walls are thin and the newer ones like 95 are thick walls,
if im wrong im sorry XD

also how did you test it?
oh gotcha. I thought early models had thick connectors haha. I tested the resistance of each circuit then hooked each solenoid up to 12 volt and they all worked except the tcc

·
Registered
414 Posts
oh gotcha. I thought early models had thick connectors haha. I tested the resistance of each circuit then hooked each solenoid up to 12 volt and they all worked except the tcc
oh !!!! i need to try that out but then that means i have to take the pan down and get a new gasket x.x UUUUURGH !!!!!!

i might be wrong, i do know that one was thicker than the other, but i cant remember from the top of my head, what year is your truck? and has any one replaced or spliced any wires?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts