Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be towing a 1995 Bronco from KY to FL for a friend tomorrow. I've found this has to been done with a tow bar and subsequently I'll have to remove the drive shaft. I'm a 35 y/o female with general home tools available. I need to get this done by myself as no one will be available to help me. Please give me any and all advice! I've never done this before. Thanx!
WH :shrug

·
Registered
748 Posts
You can just unbolt it from the Transfer case and the rear diff with a ratchet with a 12 point socket on the end of it...size of socket I do not recall though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I'll check this board again before I leave tomorrow if anyone else has any further advice. Your help is greatly appreciated!

WH:angel

·
Registered
990 Posts
Gacknar said:
you dont have to remove the rear drive shaft, just put the transfer case in nutrall. Then pull away.

good luck:D
Thats only if its a manual transfercase. There was someone on RRORC that towed there truck with the transfercase in neutral and when they hit a bump or something it poped out of neutral and ruined the tranny.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Mrit has a point, so.... just to be on the safe side, or to give myself piece of mind (you just don't know my luck!) I would remove it going that far of a distance too.
Like Max said use a ratchet with a 12 point, 12mm socket and disconect the drive shaft from the rear end where I have it marked below:

Then remove it from the case as shown below:

Once you've done that keep all the nuts, bolts and such together (shoebox or something) they'll come in handy later..:toothless Put it all in the floorboard of the ride and put it in the wind!:thumbup
Have a safe trip and good luck!:beer

P.S. I hope this turned out the way I was trying for it to..I been drinkin' so bear with me...:toothless

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Okay, just replaced the U joints in my rear drive shaft and I've got some advice for you. Now this was done by me, who's had a few years of working on vehicles, and my buddy who has extensive experience working on vehicles. Well the story goes, I get all the nuts and bolts off, and I can't get the drive shaft to compress to pull it out, so my buddy slides me a pry bar. I pry it from the diff and all of a sudden the truck starts rolling! Scare the crap outta me. Luckly it wasn't a steep incline so I grabbed a hold of the axle and the skid plate and stop it, while my buddy puts in the emergency brake.

PLEASE DONT' FOGET TO PUT ON THE EMERGENCY BREAK, AND BLOCK THE TIRES. Even the best mechanics can foget the basics, so please be careful.

·
0 Posts
how bout chalking where the driveshaft is installed before removing it? This way you dont put it back in 180 degrees off.

Also, just remove the rear side and use a coathanger/ big zip ties to suspend the driveshaft up under the truck

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Start on the transfer case side first. That way you'll know if you have the right box end wrench to remove the bolts instead of taking the axle side off first and finding out that you don't have the right wrench for the t-case side and having to put it back on.

What are you towing the Bronco with? Towing it with a tow bar is gonna be hell to brake with.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
If I knew where you were goin in KY, I could have met up with you to help. I guess it's a lil late now though. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Thank ya'll for all that good advice. When I got to the truck, they'd lost the keys and not bothered to tell anyone. Now I have to go back next week because someone is mailing me a set of keys to the truck. (Need the keys to unlock the steering wheel) If you're still available to help, I might just take you up on it. The truck's in Morgantown. I'm near Bowling Green. You can e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanx!
WH:banghead

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
You've got mail!:thumbup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts