Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help, how do you remove the carrier??

There are two of these clips (circled in red) on the ring and pinion of my d44, does anyone know how to remove them?? I'm trying to take the carrier and everything out. Thanks.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?? Someone has to have taken these out..

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
I might remember it wrong, but that looks like a Auburn posi. It (EDIT:The retainer) shouldn't need removed to pull the carrier out. What is it in? Got any numbers on it?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is in my Dana44, if its an Auburn, that's a bonus, I didn't know it that in there...Do I need to remove the pinion flange to get this out?

·
Registered
305 Posts
The book calls for a special tool to spread the case to remove the carrier. Several people have reported success using two prybars.

I'm guessing that you can't get the carrier out of the case?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's correct, I've seen that carrier spreader tool you're talking about. I guess I'll have to have someone do this for me.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Is it in the solid D44 housing or the TTB housing? IF it's in the solid housing here's an easy way to get it out: Set up a couple jackstands about 4 feet apart, put plywood or several sheets of cardboard on the ground between them, and set the axle housing on the jackstands with the pinion stem pointed up. Then pick up the short end of the housing and bring it down hard on the jackstand. It usually only takes one whack to drop it out. If it's the TTB housing you can do the same thing on some blocks of wood with a chain on the pinion yoke to drop it on the blocks with. Case spreaders are cool but I prefer "technique".

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give that a try..I don't have any cardboar in the garage, would towels work to catch it? when you say the short end of the housing, do you mean the driver's side?

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
jermil01 said:
I'll give that a try..I don't have any cardboar in the garage, would towels work to catch it? when you say the short end of the housing, do you mean the driver's side?
I suppose you could use towels but you're trying to protect the teeth of the ring gear from chipping on the concrete floor. They make a pretty deep cut into plywood sometimes so whatever you have... doormats, floormats, pizza boxes, pile it up. I did mean the driver's side as the short side.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip 78, I went to do what you said this morning, and I as I was spinning the pumpkin over on the jackstands, the carrier fell right out...I didn't need to drop it or anything..Fortunately I put some towels down. :thumbup

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oscar, what do you mean beefed up?? I'll count the teeth but I was told the gears were 3.50's everything in there looks like it was stock.

·
Registered
355 Posts
FWIW, I've pulled about 10 Dana 44's apart. Never needed a case spreader, a big screw drive under one of the ring gear bolts has popped out the toughest. Usually you get a good grip on the ring gear and just lift the assembly out. Watch out for the carrier bearing races. They usually flop around once you get the carrier up out of the housing.

Those clips are holding in the clutch discs on your posi. Not sure of the make...does not resemble any trak loc, power loc, or Auburn I've seen.

All the same, it the clutch disc retaining spring, and will not have to come out to remove the carrier.

Bob K.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the posts guys, I did like '78 said and the whole assembly fell right out. Actually all I did was rotate the axle upside down on the jackstands.

here was the result.

This gear has 42 teeth on it.

Ok, so does anyone have any idea as to what type of posi/limited slip this is?? Still not sure of the gear ratio.

Any tricks to pulling the bearings out and getting the pinion flange off?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks man, I thought they were 3.50's the gears look like they are in pretty decent shape. Ok, now that that's cleared up, what kind of posi or limited slip is this and is it worth keeping?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks..Anyone interested in this whole assembly, PM me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts