Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the deal. I have a 78 Bronco that I'm working on. The driveline is out for rebuilds and repairs so it's just a rolling chassis right now. I went to a guys house Saturday to look at some parts he wanted to get rid of. Low and behold he has a 78 F-150 4x4 sitting in his yard. We got to talking and he said he parked it back in 2000 (as evidenced by the inspection sticker) for having spun a bearing. He took everything out (motor, t-case, tranny) like I did. He said he would take $600 for it as is. Well...best I could tell, there were only a few minor rust spots on the top rail of the bed behind the cab and some obvious window seal issues. He swapped in a different front axle that is already angled up for a high pinion angle. It is set of for the quad shocks and he has both shock mounts installed. He knew of my Bronco as he looked at it one time before I bought it. So he mentions an even trade...that got my brain thinking. I'd much rather have the pickup than a bronco, both are basically in the same cond. (no motor, tranny, t-case), with the only difference being the pickup needs a little interior work and a couple minor rust issues that can be easily fixed wereas my bronco is in good shape inside and out. So...my question is what would you do? It would be an even trade, I already have my stuff here (driveline wise) and as far as I know everthing off the bronco will fit in the F-150. My brain is going nuts thinking about it. Do you think it would be a wise decision? :popc1:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
if your bronco is in better shape than the truck and i wanted the truck i would ask the guy to maybe throw in some extra parts or something

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well....the guy is supposed to stop by the house this evening to look at the bronco. Even if we didn't swap even I'm thinking about sell the bronco as is and buying the truck from him. Be on the lookout if you want a complete bronco, minus the driveline of course.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, it's offical. He would rather sell his truck than take on another project. Can't say I don't blame the guy. So...that means I would need to sell my bronco. As much as I like the open top and all...I have always wanted the pick-up. Here are the stats on the bronco: 1978 Bronco, AT, PS, NO MOTOR, TRANSMISSION, OR TRANSFER CASE. Rolling chasis only. Body is in excellent shape, only one minor rust spot on the lower left rear panel. I'll take $750 for it. Anything you want to know about it just ask me. I'll be happy to answer any questions. ;)

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
Everything swaps between a Bronco and the F150 except drive shafts lengths... The 78 Bronco will also have the smaller 1310 yokes to where the F150 1330. Atleast my F150 has the 1330's...

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Dale, that may be because your's is a 79. Even a 79 bronco uses the 1330 U-joints ;)

1ole, get some pictures. It's going to be a hard sell, for that much money. I bought my second 78, basically exactly as yours is now, for 400 bucks

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
davids78bronco said:
Dale, that may be because your's is a 79. Even a 79 bronco uses the 1330 U-joints ;)

Yeah but from what I understand the 78's had smaller u joint... Correct me if I am wrong???

1ole4d said:
OK, here's the deal. I have a 78 Bronco that I'm working on.
I have a 78 D44 that has a smaller joint than my 79 F150...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
davids78bronco said:

1ole, get some pictures. It's going to be a hard sell, for that much money. I bought my second 78, basically exactly as yours is now, for 400 bucks
I can drop the price a little bit. Like I said I'm taking the profits from the bronco and using it the purchase the F-150.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts