Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 8-9 hours of putting the shorties in my f-ing y pipe is off a few millimeters literally on the driver side i tried heating it, getting my monkey on a stick and moving it that way-(ouch lol:doh0715:) and it just won't fit and i got a leak at the flange and it sounds like ass, can someone help me out here b/c im outta cash and i need a solution b/c its robbing my m.p.g. and sounds horrible, i can't do the bassani even though i'd like to , im new to exhaust work...all help appreciated:beer

·
Registered
447 Posts
Man , I am so sorry but I am clueless. I have the bassani setup. Maybe a local muffler shop could help you out.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
after 8-9 hours of putting the shorties in my f-ing y pipe is off a few millimeters literally on the driver side i tried heating it, getting my monkey on a stick and moving it that way-(ouch lol:doh0715:) and it just won't fit and i got a leak at the flange and it sounds like ass, can someone help me out here b/c im outta cash and i need a solution b/c its robbing my m.p.g. and sounds horrible, i can't do the bassani even though i'd like to , im new to exhaust work...all help appreciated:beer
Yeah I can help ya 5LF

I used to put 360 Y-pipes on 318s a few weekends before I was swapping in a 360 on my Mopars. Saved time to stick on the bigger exhaust, bigger rads, different (pre lean burn) distributors, etc before the engine swap.

The Y-pipe's headpipe centers were a good 1" too wide for a 318 where they line up on the manifold balls/cups.

Drop the Y-pipe, after marking the portion which way it has to bend. Put it on the floor with a 250 lb buddy standing on the other end and you jam the biggest M'F#@&*ing bar down the flared opening you can.

I used to use an old Mopar torsion bar (ain't nuthin' like it:D) you can use the bar available at hardware stores for lifting off sewer lids.

Once you've got that bar lodge deep in it's throat, bend the living F#%& out of the headpipe. It ain't gonna say no, don't you worry ! It's gonna bend just like you're tellin' it !

Then reinstall the Y-pipe, knowing it's well aware of whose boss of your truck !

Sixlitre

p.s./
One more trick; Use a bottle jack to jack it onto the flange and don't tighten one side more than the other til' you get them both on the flange balls.

·
Registered
529 Posts
go to jegs . com i got my y pipe from them for like 200 bucks i dont know if thats cheeper than the bassani but its adjustable so i know it will fit

·
Registered
20 Posts
i uesed a floor jack on mine with a 4x4 on top of it and it went right in to place after a few wards that are not to nice to say on the site.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Loosen up your headers and then bolt the y-pipe up loosely, then tighten up your headers and then your y-pipe and it should fit.

The y-pipes wont fit right if you've already tightened your headers all the way, so make sure they're loosened.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Loosen up your headers and then bolt the y-pipe up loosely, then tighten up your headers and then your y-pipe and it should fit.

The y-pipes wont fit right if you've already tightened your headers all the way, so make sure they're loosened.
Yup !

do Bonzai's idea before you do my brute route. My custom Y-pipe fit my manifolds AND later my shorties just fine.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
405 Posts
Good luck. I had a local muffler shop make flanges for me and I replaced the flanges of my stock y-pipe with them (cut off and attached new). That was, however, because the outlets of the headers were too big for the y-pipe.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok now i got somewhere to go here, thanks for all your options, it really sounds like s**t right now, i will stay posted, im going to sleep on it and think about it on my 86 miles a day that i commute

edit:six you always help me out when im in a jam thanks to you also

·
Registered
897 Posts
Six has a great tip there. Make sure you get all bolts started, and tighten up each side a little at a time. that will normaly do the trick. Or if you can weld, do what I am doing, and make your own. :D :D Im half done with it. :D

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Six has a great tip there. Make sure you get all bolts started, and tighten up each side a little at a time. that will normaly do the trick. Or if you can weld, do what I am doing, and make your own. :D :D Im half done with it. :D
Better be taking lots of pics s1120 !

I'm dying to see it !

5LF-150

86 miles a day ! Man your mileage must be a-sufferin' somethin' fierce ! Best git that hooked up.

Better yet, if you're a 5.0 litre look into that Catco twin pipe Y-pipe (with free cat) for @$200.00.

I know for a fact it bolts onto manifolds or shorties beautifully.

The mileage savings would pay it off in almost no time at 86 miles a day !

Sixlitre

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Gack does your exhaust exit dual out or two pipe right beside each other?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Gack does your exhaust exit dual out or two pipe right beside each other?
At the moment neither, I run a turn down on each muffler.

Eventually I want to run turn downs on each side of the gas tank, just far enough back to get past the arch in the leaf spring. Probably painted black with an industrial heat paint so in blends in with the frame/gas tank/springs.

Kind of a stealth system, at least thats the plan as of now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check into a local exhaust shop. I went to a local exhaust and they built me a new y pipe for $100.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts