Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
We got her back together. I discovered a broken wire while performing a pre-start inspection.

It appears to be a factory splice off the main harness under the hood on the left (driver side). My manuals suggest it may be a steering pressure sensor. The manual gives an asterisk denoting no location information provided for the connector or the sensor. PITA! I have looked all around the steering pump and steering box, but have found no sensors with broken connections.

Can anyone help me identify where this wire was connected?

Broken Splice ID 1 SMALL.jpg

Broken Splice ID 3 SMALL.jpg

Broken Splice ID 1 SMALL w arrows.jpg

Wire colors Yellow/Grn and Tan/Red.

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
Is that engine harness from a 96 or a 91 or what?

Strip back some of the wire loom so you can see the actual wire color. Farther down the loom it wont be faded. Im thinking it could be for the ac pressure switch on the ac hose right behind the compressor.

here is the diagram.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Sorry. It is the truck in my signature:

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT, 1996 5.0L HO Roller, Orig Intake & Tbody, E4OD, 4" Lift, Rear Disks, Dual Magnaflow

I have taken 3 pics. I of the Pressure Switch at the Accumulator/Dryer and two at the rear of the compressor:

Pressure Switch at dryer
AC Pressure Switch Small.jpg

Rear of Compressor:
Line at rear of compressor 1 SMALL.jpg

2nd at Rear:
Line at rear of compressor 2 SMALL.jpg

I cleaned the wires further up the loom. I is definetely yellow with green stripe. The other still looks Tan to off-white with Red stripe.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
I believe that is your PSPS (Power Steering Pressure Switch) wires that are as follows:

Y/LG - EEC Pin #24 to PSPS
GY/R - PSPS to EEC Pin #46 (SIG RTN)

This is only used on a Speed Density 5.0L and is used as input to the EEC which increases rpm when the PS unit is operating. If you cannot find the switch or port on the high pressure line, you probably have the incorrect part.

I also believe that unplugging your PSPS will tell the EEC to increase the rpms which can add to high idle problems.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Yes, it is Speed Density, no MAF. Grey with Red is the correct color. I scrubbed it with citrus cleaner and it looks more off-white to gray than tan now. Yellow with Green is correct. Any idea where this sensor is located? I wish I could shave the corners off my head to get in for a closer look. I will probably have to remove the pump or the fender well to get a better view.

What is the dashed line between C330 and C310?

I found some info on the FordTrucksForum. It is stated that this sensor is only for 2.3L engines.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1017782-power-steering-leak-sensor-on-high-pressure-line.html

Still researching part descriptions and Bronco specifics. The break is clean. Both wires are cut-off just inside the edge of the insulation. Maybe it was taped off and simply fell loose when doing all the recent work. Still researching...

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Any idea where this sensor is located?
If you cannot find the switch or port on the high pressure line, you probably have the incorrect line.
It is not a Sensor, it is a Switch which is normally closed and opens between 400-600 psi.

What is the dashed line between C330 and C310?
The single dashed line indicates that the wires pass through the same connector somewhere before the EEC, (probably behind the Air Box).

I found some info on the FordTrucksForum. It is stated that this sensor is only for 2.3L engines.
That is correct for THEIR applications. That is a Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series Thread and not necessarily applicable to you.

Still researching part descriptions and Bronco specifics. The break is clean. Both wires are cut-off just inside the edge of the insulation. Maybe it was taped off and simply fell loose when doing all the recent work. Still researching...
I admire how you have minimal confidence in my replies and choose to research for yourself. I will climb back on my turnip truck and be on my way. ;)

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Whoa Seattle... Nothing personal. I am gaining much faith in your replies. Remember, faith is earned. I am 50 years old. I have grown up the old fashioned way of do your own research and learn from it. Part of doing research is questioning, reading, observing, and soliciting input. The decision is derived from qualifying the data gained. I often find mistakes in my manuals and on various web resources. I have received much erroneous advice in all aspects of my life and ventures so I am a bit cautious. Various auto shops have swapped out parts, plugged vacuum lines, threaded bolts or JB welded plates over sensors, etc... Now that everyone in the family has driven it, it is back in my hands. I am unwinding 24 years of various peoples work and I am determined to get it right. I do appreciate your quick replies. The accuracy of those replies is appreciated even more. I have learned much on this vehicle. I have started my own library of proven info for future reference and to share with others once I am certain it is correct. You may call me anal or even OCD. I definitely can be so. I really have a disdain for bad information, especially when I give it. Thanks again. By the way, I saw the vehicles in your listings. I did not see a turnip truck listed. Nice collection. Thanks again. Now I am off to the fricking auto part store to insist that I a high pressure line with a sensor socket does exist. I will be triving my Dodge Cummins turnip truck while this one is down.

PS Seattle you were correct on the reman distributor. It is nice, clean, and tight, but no steel gear. I just received it this evening. On a lighter side I am even more OCD about my fishing reels and firearms. Off I go.

I found a sensor. XL Parts OEM PN# 4142, Two terminal. My Shop Manual does not mention this part. My Electrical/Vacuum TS Manual does show the same diagram that you sent.

Both of our diagrams have the note "WITHOUT E40D" near this ECM connector # 24 on Circuit 330. Do you have any info on that note. I do have an E40D tranny.

I will have to build a connector until I can find one in the JY or elsewhere. I am in need of a pinout. I can use the connector clip on the part as an index for the pins.

Pic of PSPS and box label:
Ford Bronco Power Steering Pressure Switch.jpg

Ford Bronco Power Steering Pressure Switch Box Label.jpg

Found Connector at Rock Auto. I would appreciate a pinout for proper wiring if you have it. Thanks.

Power Steering Pressure Switch: XL Parts OEM PSS1 4142 two terminal
Ford Base Part# 3783
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS PSS4, Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): E57A3N824AA, E5TZ3N824A, F37A3N824AA, F3TZ3N824A
AIRTEX / WELLS 1S6816, Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): E5TZ3N824A, F3TZ3N824A, PS472, ZZM032231
Connector C1016, Two Terminal from Splice S133
Wire Colors Y/LG - Circuit 330, GY/R Circuit 359 Splice S133
Threads into High Pressure line, Only on 5.0L Speed Density FI

Power Steering Pressure Switch Connector (C1016)
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS S69, Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 88988390, 9067957
ACDELCO PT2384, Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 88862303
Terminal Quantity 2
Terminal Gender Female
Terminal Type Pin Socket
Connector Quantity 1
Harness Length - Inches 8"

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
I believe that the PSPS was used until 5/93 on the non-E40D 5.0L. The correct part # is F3TZ-3N824-A. So I believe you are correct in that you do not require one for your 1991 Bronco 5.0L E4OD EEC. Maybe someone else can confirm.

My 1990 EVTM does not designate "w/o E4OD", only "not used in 5.8L only". This may be due to only the 1990 5.8L having the E4OD.

That still leaves the wires. It doesn't look to difficult to trace them back through the harness. Both the PSPS Y/G and KS Y/R should share the same connector on the fender behind the air box.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Thank you sir. I will retrace the wires as suggested. I will also install the sensor, run and look for TDC's running w/wo the sensor connected. I will run wo connected first.

I am still leary of my documentation (1991) as we have discovered errors within it recently.

I have not managed to locate pinout for C1016. I do not know which tab is Y/LG and which is GY/R. I will be receiving a connector and pigtail this morning. It may have instructions that are helpful.

FYI for future reference:
The Power Steering Line, MasterPro 71424 came with a threaded sensor port located near the connection on the pump side. It included a hex head threaded plug. The plug had a rubber o-ring. The o-ring is supposed to be moved from the plug to any sensor that is threaded into the line instead of the plug. The plug is for vehicles that do not require a PSPS. Your line will leak, eventually if not immediately, if this o-ring is not installed.

Finally found a pinout/test point diagram for this snapperhead:
Ford PSPS F3TZ-3N824-A pinout and test points.gif

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Started truck and let warm to check for TDCs. Truck had high idle, 875rpm at 150' above sea level when at normal op temp.

I know a previous mechanic had turned the Throttle body screw because his helper told me so. We did the procedure for adjusting it. We turned it CCW for 1 turn. The idle is now stable at 700RPM with IAC attached and in park.

I opened and closed the throttle a few times. I got some back fire and it slowed to a loping idle. It continued to hunt for idle until powered off.

We ran the KOEO Slow Test and read a 53. Because the TPS is on the bottom of Throttle Body and we had no gasket, we tested the ohm range from open to close. The range was .7K to 3.3K on the truck with the throttle cable attached. I am going to move this to a new thread since we are not getting PSPS codes, but we are getting ignition related errors. We are picking up a TB gasket and removing the Throttle body at this time.

I found and printed out your TPS test and will execute it.

I would appreciate it if you could provide the proper part# for a Throttle Position Sensor and IAC for this same 1991 Bronco with 5.0HO. They are both very old. I wish to clean up the Throttle body and replace the IAC and TPS to get us on good footing. I also wish to test the new parts once everything is clean to ensure they are good and operating as expected.

Also, I read your notes on part F2PZ-9F939-A. Would you suggest we install one since we do have a 5.0 HO in this Bronco?

Parts purchased from XL to replace aftermarket parts:

Throttle Position Sensor:
Ford Parts: (CX-1228)

Idle Air Control Valve:
Ford Part Number: (CX1828)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts