Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,I took my 93 Bronco on its first long trip yesterday.I always knew it had a slight oil drip but Iwasnt worried.Anyways I was cruising along doing about 65-70 and I noticed smoke pouring out of the rear of the truck from underneath.it only happened when it was in the passing gear or if I was going up a slight grade in overdrive.I pulled over and it wasnt trans fluid or anything.I dont believe its the rear seal.My valve covers are dry.But looking closer it seems like it is coming from above the starter.Leaking down onto the pipes and all over the trans.IS there a seal or something up there that goes?I cant think of anything and its been to cold to crawl up in there.Just wondering if its a common thing on these.BTW its a 5.0.Thanks!

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
The PCV valve is on the rear part of the pass side valve cover. It could've popped out of the grommet or it could've came off the nipple where it hooks to the intake.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Yeah, most likely your oil leak is coming from the top, either the valve cover gasket or that PCV valve popped out. Oil runs downhill, not up, so it's not likely to be your rear main seal or oil pan gasket. Those are the common leak areas. But, don't rule out more than one source of the leak, too, so clean the pan and check for any new leaks once you fix the one up top. My 84 had 4 or 5 things leaking when I first got it. After cleaning the engine at a car wash, I used a good flashlight and a mirror-on-a-stick to check the back of the engine where it's hard to see. Look for a trail of oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts