Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90, 351 EFI that is just puking oil each night. Two spots under the rig about the size of a softball. it is so damn spread all ove trhe place it is hard to tell where it is coming from. I am a rook at repair (I break more than I fix) but i need some guidance of where to start to try to find these leaks.

On a related note, what kind of sick joke is it that the left (if you are facing the truck) valve cover requires so much to get to it?

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
I'd assume your truck hit 100k. My rear main seal seeps a little bit. This would leak at the point between the transmission and the motor meet. It's also a very hard seal to change, for now i just deal with the leak.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Where does the oil collect before it drips? Is the engine block covered with oil on the side? Is the bottom of the oil filter wet with oil? There are plenty of places it could be leaking from. Could be seals, head gaskets, pan gasket, transmission gasket, etc.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
throw a piece of cardboard under your motor when you get to work and check on it at first coffee and or lunch. That should narow down the area to start looking.

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
Either clean the engine or have it cleaned and follow where the oil is dripping from.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it is leaking from everywhere. Cleaning the engine will probably be the best bet because there are quite a few areas with a layer of oil.

thnaks for the feedback. I want to start with the valve cover gaskets but that left one will be a bear.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
pjmorgan22 said:
I want to start with the valve cover gaskets but that left one will be a bear.
Ive done it so many times that I can do it in less than 30minuts.

Be sure to use the stamped steel with rubber o ring gasket from Ford. They never leak and are even reusable. Do not use anty other gasket.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
pjmorgan22 said:
thnaks for the feedback. I want to start with the valve cover gaskets but that left one will be a bear.

Not really just got to take off the upper intake if you are EFI. it isnt that bad. if i can change an oil pump in a hour and a half you can change the VC gaskets.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Just so you know.....its common practice that when discussing "left side or right side" its always taken from the prospective of you sitting in the truck......so the left side valve cover is the one on the drivers side....(but only if your not in England )

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I know this is basic, but regardless of where the leak is, make sure you check your oil (engine and tranny) and your oil pressure regularly so you don't end up killing the engine. You don't need to go too crazy with the cleaning, take some breakcleaner or something that has a good spray nozzle, spray it down, wipe it down and just come back in a few minutes and see where the oil is coming down from . . . if the transmission cover plate is soaked then think about the rear main seal and if you suspect it's tranny oil (lighter and redder color) then it might even be your tranny oil . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts