Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to need some new wheels after i do my 8 lug D44 and 10.25 swap....

From what i understand you have to have a backspacing of 2.5 and grind about 1/4 from the caliper to run 15" wheels on a D44HD. What about 16" wheels???

Im looking for either a 15, 16, or 16.5 wheel, with the right ammount of BS to fit the brakes, 10 to 12 " wide....also has to be aluminum. I dont like the whole "bling" facotor of aluminum, i like the black steels, but steel weights to damn much.

USWheel has a 16x10 on a 4" BS, and M/T has 16x12 on a 4.5BS

the US wheel wouldnt be too bad, like something that sticks out farther though.

Any of you guys know of another place??

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If it were me I would just go with the 16's, or even 17's before I went with 15's or 16.5's

with a 10" wheel, 4 to 4.5" backspacing is good. You don't want them to stick out too much farther because it will wear out the D44 ball joints quickly

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would compromise their brakes to run a particular rim size. Forget the 15's and leave your brakes alone.

4.5" backspacing will have almost any tire rubbing the suspension on turns. Keep the backspace 3 to 3.5 inches and you'll be happier.

If I were doing it, I'd look into 17" rims with 3.5 backspacing. There are a ton of tire choices now for 17" tires. It's getting tough to find 16.5's, and that's not a good offroad rim anyway unless you beadlock them.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Larston said:
I don't understand why anyone would compromise their brakes to run a particular rim size. Forget the 15's and leave your brakes alone.

4.5" backspacing will have almost any tire rubbing the suspension on turns. Keep the backspace 3 to 3.5 inches and you'll be happier.

If I were doing it, I'd look into 17" rims with 3.5 backspacing. There are a ton of tire choices now for 17" tires. It's getting tough to find 16.5's, and that's not a good offroad rim anyway unless you beadlock them.
17's offer the best choice in tire variety, so i'd go there. Downside here is expense vs. 15" tires. Lot's of backspacing on to clear 15's I don't really like since it's tough on the bearings.

Brake compromise, not likely if done properly. I run 15's at all four corners, stock backspacing and the amount of grinding on the caliper is very minimal (but this is also not a dual caliper, don't know how much grinding is needed with that caliper). I have no worry that anything was compromised. However, running in mud all the time with this setup probably is not the greatest thing as there just isn't enough clearance between caliper and wheel, so it would be constantly having to clear out the mud as the wheel rotates. I don't see mud that often.

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats wrong with 16s??? is there any grinding to be done with 16s w/ 4" BS???? i can get what i want in wheels and tires with that set up.

Im wanting to run 38" ground hawgs.... they make one tire in 17"s... and thats a 38.5. The biggest bogger they make for a 17 is 37"..... 39.5 in TSL. in 16s they offer alot more tire options... i can get a 44" bogger in 16s

then in wheels, i cant find anything lower then a 4.5" BS.... then everything cost more. forget 15s, dont like that whole idea... now 16s... what do i have to do to fit them with a 4" BS?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
nascarfreak88 said:
Whats wrong with 16s??? is there any grinding to be done with 16s w/ 4" BS???? i can get what i want in wheels and tires with that set up.
Nothings wrong with them. And yes, youy can run those fine. I have a few different sets of 16x10's with a 4" back space and I swap them across to and from different fords and dodges all the time.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
nothing, except that as far as I saw for tires when I was going through this same debate, 16's were out for lack of choices (many choices, yes, but who wants a 285 R16 load range E?).

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright i think im going with the 16s... i dont see the tire sizes i want in 17s, 16s seem to have everything i need with the least ammount of trouble and cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.