Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im guessing its a 9 in buty idk could be different I guess. First does the 9 inch have that 4x4 hub lockout knob looking thing at the end of the axle shaft? Some stuff wrote on it are Ford Splicer and the numbers 3094 and 1-585 idk if the 1 is a 1 or l. Inside the carrier are the numbers 0257 on both sides. Also when I turn the axle shaft that has the tire off it turns the driveshaft but not the other tire. But when I turn the side with the tire on it turns the driveshaft and the axleshaft on the opposite side the same way I turn the side with the tire on it. This is in a 78 ford bronco.. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uh okay well can someone move it for me then?

Otherwise.. no one knows what the numbers mean? It'd be nice to find out before tomorrow... and with counting the teeth on the gears.. how many teeth are on stock gears... what about 4.10 or 4.56s...

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
muddinBronc said:
Im guessing its a 9 in buty idk could be different I guess. First does the 9 inch have that 4x4 hub lockout knob looking thing at the end of the axle shaft? Some stuff wrote on it are Ford Splicer and the numbers 3094 and 1-585 idk if the 1 is a 1 or l. Inside the carrier are the numbers 0257 on both sides. Also when I turn the axle shaft that has the tire off it turns the driveshaft but not the other tire. But when I turn the side with the tire on it turns the driveshaft and the axleshaft on the opposite side the same way I turn the side with the tire on it. This is in a 78 ford bronco.. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
For a 78 Bronco, the REAR axle should be a 9 inch. There is no locking hubs on a 9 inch though, because its used in a rear axle configuration only (except for some aftermarket axles being built, but thats a different story)
You have an open differential, thats why the tires don't turn in the same direction when you turn them

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MikE2 said:
For a 78 Bronco, the REAR axle should be a 9 inch. There is no locking hubs on a 9 inch though, because its used in a rear axle configuration only (except for some aftermarket axles being built, but thats a different story)
You have an open differential, thats why the tires don't turn in the same direction when you turn them
I know it doesnt have lockin hubs I was just saying it had like the knob shaped thing on the end of the axle shafts molded into them. Both spin the same direction when I spin the side with the tire on it..

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
muddinBronc said:
You got a camera? That might help get your questions answered.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no but a friend does.. I'll try and get some pics in the near future and post em up

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes the cover is pulled off of it right now so I could take a look at the gears. Thats why I was confused cause my 77 f-150 doesnt have a removable cover. It is 5 lug though

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
muddinBronc said:
I know it doesnt have lockin hubs I was just saying it had like the knob shaped thing on the end of the axle shafts molded into them. Both spin the same direction when I spin the side with the tire on it..
Is this the shape you're talking about?

It's not a knob, it's just the way it's cast.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ik its just a cast I was just tryin to give an example but I'm bad at explaining things and yeah thats it except is flat. Mine doesnt stick out like that. Idk I'll have to get pictures I'm no good at explaining things

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
muddinBronc said:
Ik its just a cast I was just tryin to give an example but I'm bad at explaining things and yeah thats it except is flat. Mine doesnt stick out like that. Idk I'll have to get pictures I'm no good at explaining things
definitely need pics...if its flat and five lug but in a 78? and has a removable cover?...getting interesting.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here's some pics.. not sure how good they are..

can anyone tell by this pic if its a 4 or 6 inch lift by looking at the coil?

this bronco is ROUGH im parting it out though has a high pinion dana 44.. are those worth more then a normal danna 44?

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
first pic is not a nine inch...looks like an 8.8 with the cover laying on the ground...

edited...didnt notice it was an older bko.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking that but also thinking why would someone do that then put a lift with 36 inch tires that are 14 inches wide..

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
weird? Is that worth really anything? Cause I don't really need it.. Unless its stronger then the 9 inch then maybe swap it in the 77? I have no clue what gears it has.. Do the gears look stock?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts