Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning up in front of the garage yesterday when I came across this guy...

He was lounging under a pile of steel I had out there. Sorry for the blurry pic, but hey, it's a snake. I didn't want to get too friendly with it. I was thinking it's a Copperhead, other people guessed just about every other snake in creation. Several folks guessed Pygmy Rattler, although it had no rattles. It was about 15", probably a baby. I guess I just don't know my snakes. So, somebody who knows about these things, what do I have here? BTW, if you want to examine the remains they will be available for viewing in the bottom of my trash can until about 8:00am Friday morning.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sway said:
Its a snake. :goodfinge
Thanks Sway, I knew I could count on getting some advise like that.:thumbup

Bronco Rob said:
I hate snakes, how close was i to that thing????
From where you were lying on your back torching off your pipes, about 6', more or less. Don't worry, he wasn't that agressive. Hell, he sat there and let me take about ten pictures of him and didn't really get that pissed until I put the shovel on top of him.:shrug

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
The pics are blurry but it looks looks a gopher snake to me.

round head, diamond pattern (rattle snakes have a triangle shaped head.)

gopher snake

Eastern Diamondback

Gopher snakes will rattle their tails on leaves to immitate a rattle snake. Not an expert but caught a lot of snakes/skinks/lizzards as a kid.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
it was a colubrid. looks to be a grey rat snake, or pine snake like one said already. to kill it was the dumbest thing you could do. Do you always kill things that you do not know? That is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of. Now im not a member of peta or anything but to kill a snake that has not harmed or try to harm you in any way is retarded. they keep the mouse population down and that is good for everybody. if you would have just went on your way he would have too and you would probably never see him again. I have seen big ass diamond backs on the farm and paid them no mind they are not going to hurt you. unless you sit there and poke them with a stick or aggravate the shit out of them

some peoples kids.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
it was a colubrid. looks to be a grey rat snake, or pine snake like one said already. to kill it was the dumbest thing you could do. Do you always kill things that you do not know? That is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of. Now im not a member of peta or anything but to kill a snake that has not harmed or try to harm you in any way is retarded. they keep the mouse population down and that is good for everybody. if you would have just went on your way he would have too and you would probably never see him again. I have seen big ass diamond backs on the farm and paid them no mind they are not going to hurt you. unless you sit there and poke them with a stick or aggravate the shit out of them

some peoples kids.
That's pretty harsh but I agree, you shouldn't have killed it. Snakes are cool. Just go put it in the long grass or woods(or neighbor's yard ;) ). My boy is always catching them and messing with them when we go up north. Usually the ones that are right by the cabin or hanging off it, we always let them go in the woods though. I hate it when we get to camp and there is mouse shit everywhere.

·
Bitchin.
1,871 Posts
hell... im retarded. i catch any snake i find. used to catch rattlers with a snake stick, some garbage tongs, and a full welding top. tons of fun! always caught and released, andif they were small enough, i'd take em far enough away so that you could find em in the same spots months later

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
I with you Dave, if it's a snake near my house, it dies. Besides the fact that I have a dog that I don't want to get zapped, I've got my niece and nephew over here pretty often, too. There's plenty of snakes in this world, we won't miss 1 or 2 less.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
johnski said:
I with you Dave, if it's a snake near my house, it dies. Besides the fact that I have a dog that I don't want to get zapped, I've got my niece and nephew over here pretty often, too. There's plenty of snakes in this world, we won't miss 1 or 2 less.
I'd have to agree with Johnski, he's got a lot of foot traffic going through there, including women and children and a bunch of FSB'ers. It MIGHT not of EVER bothered anyone, but why take the chance.

His neighborhood isn't exactly the wilderness, so if he let it go somewhere someone else would of probably killed it.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
imlikeojnow said:
it was a colubrid. looks to be a grey rat snake, or pine snake like one said already.
Okay. Looks like you didn't know exactly what it was either.

imlikeojnow said:
to kill it was the dumbest thing you could do.
Not really, I'm pretty sure I've done lots dumber things than that.

imlikeojnow said:
Do you always kill things that you do not know?
Generally speaking, no. But I do frequently make exceptions for animals that annoy me. In the last few years I have also offed a deer, a wild turkey, an emu, a bunch of fish, several rats, and a couple of cats. I made absolutely no atempt to empathise with any of them, I simply killed them and moved on. God gave me dominion over them, so live with it.

imlikeojnow said:
That is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of.
You must live a very sheltered life. Like I said before, I've done much dumber things than that, and let's not even get into the dumb things I've only heard of.

imlikeojnow said:
Now im not a member of peta or anything
What's stopping you?

imlikeojnow said:
but to kill a snake that has not harmed or try to harm you in any way is retarded.
Not really. I do know a retarded guy, and I've never known him to kill a snake, in fact I doubt he would. Me on the other hand, I already stated that I thought he might be a copperhead, which is a dangerous snake. Better safe than sorry. Besides, I gave him ample chance to live. I say the snake was retarded:toothless .

imlikeojnow said:
they keep the mouse population down and that is good for everybody.
Except the mice.;)

imlikeojnow said:
if you would have just went on your way he would have too and you would probably never see him again.
And therin lies the problem. He didn't go on his way. He sat there long enough for me to go in the house, find my camera, find the compact flash card and put it back in the camera, go back outside and spend a good five minutes fiddling with the camera trying to get it out of the manual mode it was stuck in, and then take about ten pictures. Did I mention that I was cleaning up the place? I didn't have time for him to just decide to vacate the permises of his own volition.

imlikeojnow said:
I have seen big ass diamond backs on the farm
I grew up on a farm, snakes were common place there. I rarely killed them on the farm, generally I would just pick them up and relocate them to a more convenient place. If it were a green snake, a black snake, or some other snake I was sure about I definitely would have just picked him up and moved him. Like I said before, I was unsure, I thought it might be a copperhead. In the city there are no convenient places for dangerous snakes, particularly in neighborhoods such as mine with a lot of young children. So I offed him. If you want me to feel bad about it you are going to be disapointed.

imlikeojnow said:
and paid them no mind they are not going to hurt you unless you sit there and poke them with a stick or aggravate the shit out of them
Moving on was not an option, he was sitting directly in the middle of where I was trying to work, my time is more valuable than his, so now he's dead.

imlikeojnow said:
some peoples kids.
Ouch, you got me.:cry

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
The only snake around here are dead snakes... I have 2 little kids running around and don't have time to figure out was that a poisonouos snake or not. They all die.

I not affraid of them and I know the poisonouos ones that are in Ga so it isn't fear or the fact I am uneducated about them... I have spent the better part of my in the woods...

And for you that don't know our poisonouos snakes are in Ga..

Timber rattler
Eastern Diamondback rattle snake
Cotton mouth
Copper Head
and last is the
Coral Sanke

1 - 20 of 53 Posts