Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This weekend I'm going to pick up a '88 Bronco. I need to know a few things so I can make it mine.

What size speakers does it come with, it should be 6.5" in the doors and 6"x9" by the back seat, right?

Is there anywhere I can buy a center console? The truck I'm buying doesn't have one. Would I have to buy it from someone, or is there a store or dealer I can get one from?

It has the pushbutton 4x4 and auto hubs, I would like to change those out to manual stuff. Would that be an expensive venture? What would I need to do it?

Will the transfer case get in the way of an x-pipe if i wanted to get one?

Thanks.

Travis

·
Registered
445 Posts
in rear is a 6x8 opening, but u can fit a 6x9...in the front of my 88 i ran 6x8's in the 6.5 opening. the x pipe will get in the way also. go to a junk yard and pick up a good center console for cheap. it doesn't have to be a bronco console...u can get one from a blazer or ram charger.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,993 Posts
Manual hub swap is easy. Manual transfer case swap is involved, but can be done.

The 80-91 centers hold a lot, but have useless cupholders. I prefer the 92-96 style.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I agree with adrianspeeder about the console. I am going to get 92-96 cup holder inserts and cut the openings for them in the 90 console (useless freakin cup holders). A junkyard shoudl be good for that stuff, and manual hubs arnt that hard, make sure to search and you will get a TON of info on it.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
SomeDude451 said:
Another question, how difficult is it convert from speed density to mass air?
1. Click on search
2. Type Mass-Air in the search feild.
3. Switch to thread titles only.
4. Click search now.
:thumbup

·
Registered
73 Posts
SomeDude451 said:
It has the pushbutton 4x4 and auto hubs, I would like to change those out to manual stuff. Would that be an expensive venture? What would I need to do it?
If the pushbutton 4x4 works, why change it? Are you planning on alot of offroading? I changed my hubs but only because they stopped functioning. I really liked the idea of not having to get out and lock them in, ain't an option now. Best of luck with your mods!:beer

·
Registered
445 Posts
the stock opening is 6.5....so u can just put another one right in its place....but i have put 6x8 into that opening with out cutting...just drilling new holes.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
im about to switch out my push button/ auto hubs for manual t-case and hubs- ill let you know how that goes.

i think the 5 1/4" and 6x8 are plenty big enough. you have to realise that the top of the broncos make it easy to fill the cab with sound. i swapped out my speakers for 2-way pioneer in the front and 3-way pioneer in the rear. it makes plenty of sound- but youll need to put in some kindof insulation to stop the door/ rear panels from vibrating.

is there a junkyard list or something like that?
i think you look under salvageyard or junkyard in your local yellowpages.

good luck,
ace

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Well being auto hubs you're lucky.. 87's and some 88's have this weird "Top Hat" manual hubs. Makes life interesting when I'm trying to find replacement hubs and axles when I break one..

don't know where yer from but the best power increase I've felt was by taking the cats out and dump the exhaust right after a flowmaster muffler..

I think I'm going to get a throttle body spacer next..

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the replies. I think I've decided that I'm definatly gonna get Warn Premium hubs, but keep the push button transfer case, at least for now. Maybe in the future if it becomes a full blown off road truck ill get the manual t-case, but for now the push button should be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts