Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am in the market for a Bronco. And I am looking at 95s and 96s with the 351. Here's my question: Everything else being the same, do I want a 95 because it is not OBD-II, or do I want a 96 because it is MAF?

Also, do the 95 & 96s get the roof cracks like all the other 1980-up Broncos do? I remember something about Ford coming out with some sort of bracing system to remedy this in the 95-96 models but I didn't know if a) they actually did and, b) if they did, did it work?

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
personally, i like the early 80's but i would do 95 i really dont like working on my friends 96 because of the maf its a real PITA

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Roof cracks are a common problem even on the newer models with the repair panel. Some of the 95's are MAF as well you just have to find one that's not if you dont want it

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
If you are not going to do anything too radical to the engine then you could get an SD setup without much impact. I think OBD-II and MAF are pretty cool, so all things being equal I would try for that one. Getting one with m5od would be nice too.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
1996, the best year to get, and not getting one just because it has MAF is just a stupid reason.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
1996, the best year to get, and not getting one just because it has MAF is just a stupid reason.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I look at MAF as desirable, not undesirable. OBD-II I was thinking undesirable because it keeps track of so many more things, such as whether or not your gascap is on tight. I'm not gonna be doing anything to the engine so maybe it doesn't matter, I was just thinking MAF is more efficient since it reads actual air flow, not an estimate.

I am shopping 351s so the M5OD is out.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
If you even suspect that one day you MIGHT want to do some engine upgrades, go with a MAF. Otherwise you are fairly limited in cam selection and other areas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts