Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, after moving to Louisiana, which seems to have the worst infrastructure I've ever seen in the US, I've decided I need a generator for when the power goes out....for days at a time...like it just dealt with.

The essentials are to run a fridge/freezer combo and a deep freeze.

The ideal situation would be to run my (small) central AC and fan, a single ceiling fan, the fridge/freezer, deep freezer and two light bulbs that could follow me around from room to room.

I've done some hypotheticals from a few web sites and it seems like the minimum I'd need to run the ideal would be about 6,000 watts.

That's based on this site and my AC unit's data tag saying that it needs 15A breaker, 25A max @ 240V.

I can get a 9,000 watt Honeywell generator at a great price with a few strategically placed discounts that will output 120v or 240v.

Everything BUT the AC, as expected, runs on 120V.

What I'd like to do is keep the generator in my outbuilding, about 30 yards away from the house, wired to mains; It would remain unhooked from the grid 'till I need it, at which point I'd plan on throwing the main breaker on the primary breaker box to prevent powering houses around me and overloading everything, starting the generator, hooking it to a male generator inlet, and going on my merry way.

Since the out building is wired for 240 as well as 120, I would think the wiring should be enough to run the ideal items from the generator through that wire run.

The questions I have are:

1) Are there any issues with this plan so far?

2) Are my numbers correct? I've tried to be optimistic in the numbers I've been running.

3) Since the AC is 240V, but is hooked to two breakers (each drawing 120v, right??) and I think the generator can only put out EITHER 120 OR 140, will it work with the generator switch set to 120??

4) Do the ratings on appliances include inrush amperage?

I've spent the majority of my 3 day weekend inebriated, so I'm not sure if my thought train is on track or not, but I know that the good folks here can set me straight one way or another.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
You might think about getting a whole house surge suppressor, With all the surges and line drops you seem to be experiencing, a whole house surge suppressor might save your TV or PC.
Just my 2¢

1 - 2 of 2 Posts