Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Bronco with a 302 with 144000miles. Running good but, I am looking for a good block to start a rebuild to replace eventually. This will be my first time to rebuild an engine so it may take awhile and plan to buy parts over time. I have found a 302 from a 85 Ford Half Ton for $100.

Seller has stated "heads ready to go, and block had all machine work done 10 yrs ago and was ready to build. Has some surface rust now, has been stored inside. Complete with crank and pistons and cam"

I know I have a lot to learn but wondering if this would be a good starting point. Will this be a simple swap or will there be complications? What should I look for when I go look at the block?

·
Registered
141 Posts
For starters, your engine, provided it has and continues to be maintained, has a lot of life left in it. That being said, if it were me, I would look for a 5.0L out of a later model Explorer as a donor engine before I would go after someone's abandoned rebuild project. The later engine has a much better set of cylinder heads and being complete means you aren't going to have any surprises when it comes time to do the rebuild. Buying an engine in a basket is a major gamble that all of the correct parts are still there and that you are actually getting what you are paying for. If you do decide to buy the basket case, expect it to be nothing more than a bare block and heads. Expect to have to replace everything else as you have no idea if they are worth keeping.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I agree with ^. Besides I don't think the cam is going to work with your FI

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Isn't a 94 roller cam'd or roller ready?

I'm a fan of roller cams these days with the new oils we have.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,098 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
does the later block have a knock sensor mount on it
not sure if or when the ford injection has/had one

I think later injection chevy blocks differed in that way to the carbbed ones

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
does the later block have a knock sensor mount on it
not sure if or when the ford injection has/had one

I think later injection chevy blocks differed in that way to the carbbed ones
If it doesn't you just find a spot for it to screw into the block. or throw it away :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts