Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking apart the auto locking hubs to start the ball joint R&R process but I cant get the inner hub out. I removed the outer hub and that pesky snap ring. The c-clip and 3 washers came right out but when I tried to pull the inner hub out it won't budge. I can see the keyed part of the hub wiggle a little and move 1/32 of an inch but all my tugging won't pull it out. I've been at it for over an hour and I've searched threads endlessly but can't find a solution.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Clean every bit of grease off and out of the assembly. There can only be a lock-ring, lock washer or snapring holding the hub in place. Can you post a picture which shows how far you got? It would be easier to tell you what's holding it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know how when you go to the doctor your symptoms disappear? Well after asking for help I tried a large 90 degree set of needle nose pliers and that provided the right amount of leverage to force it free. These hubs and wheel bearings haven't been serviced in a long while (maybe ever). The grease is a nasty grey, I assume filled with steel filings. Bearings are going to get a good synthetic grease and I have ordered the premium Warn Manual locking hubs and conversion kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Click my black Bronco in my sig & read the captions in the Brakes & Hubs album. When pulling a lock body, put a cap screw or 2 back in to use as handles.
This was the inner part of the locking hub. Not the outer with screw holes.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo, Read this;

"...just completed this exact same conversion with Warn premium hubs and something a TON cheaper than their rip-off conversion set: NAPA factory replacement wheel retainer nuts. They were only $17 each (per side, that is), but JBG has 'em for only $10 IIRC. I just didn't feel like waiting when they were in stock at NAPA. NO, you do NOT need those three washers OR the spring clip that holds them in place. I came across that problem, too. I ended up taking the rotor and hub off, just to see what the clearance between the hub lock and spindle would be, and it's too close for that clip to be in its slot; the clip completely stops the hub lock from going on the stub shaft all the way, and the washers aren't needed because the hub locks have C-clips on the ends that go on the stub shaft to keep it all in line...."
Source: by SigEpBlue (Steve) at FSB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts