Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F-me. I have been doing a alot of research and still have alot of problems with this. I have all new super cooling radiator, fan shroud, fan, fan clutch My new fan/fan clutch hit the new shroud only at the bottom. Shroud is 21inches fan is 19. it is evan from side to side. If I get a smaller fan like 18 or 17 it won't be working properly right, it would have a big gap at the top and still tight at the bottom. The radiator went right in . All the parts are new,the radiator is thicker and flex fan had 2inches of spacers that have been removed. So far the only right thing I did was not starting it. without the spacers on the fan it had 1 1/2 from the fan clutch to the radiator but the fan was totaly inside of the shroud is that o.k. If I'm rambling I'm sorry just roated that I got all this new SH$t and have alot of things still to figure out like radiator hoses and power steering cooler that now needs to be removed. HELP ME PLEASE!

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
sorry but my head hurts from trying to read and understand that.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well BBF, I can tell you for optimum performance the fan
should be even with the shroud opening. By even, I mean
half of the fan blade edge outside the opening, and half
inside.

If the shroud is even on both sides, but too high, try doing
some measuring and drill new mounting holes in the plastic
shroud to lower it a bit. About an inch clearance on all sides
is enough to allow for engine movement.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I thought the fan should be in the same place as you stated but with no spacers I have no other way to mount the fan unless I got with no clutch. I had thought about moving the shroud down to but it is also maxed out on the lower radiator hose outlet. Did'nt want to cut on it yet with it being new. I'm just shocked at the fitment. The radiator is max cooling Proliance (Modine) and everywhere I checked the part # are the same and the shroud was ordered from the same place at the same time. Maybe the problem is because I have a 460 but others only seemed to have radiator hose problems which I have to but I can't get that far yet. I have had so many overheating problems and thought the super cooler was the answer but maybe I should have just stayed with a stock radiator.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Did you buy the shroud to match the supercooler?

Bronco Graveyard sell them.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Did you buy the shroud to match the supercooler?

Bronco Graveyard sell them.
I bought the BG "super" shroud, and it fits exactly as he describes. An inch too high on top and an inch too low on the bottom. I do not blame the shroud though. I always figured this was due to the LMC mounts not locating the 460 water pump at the center of the radiator.

Hopefully the NCS perches and mounts adress this issue better. They are on my "to do" list.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are NCS perches and mounts? I did get them from the same place on the same order as the radiator,I should go check it again. The P.O. did the 460 swap about 15years ago he said he use Hooker mounts that went in he stock location. Well I feel a little better know maybe a trim on the shroud is the best way to go rather than sending stuff back all the time. What should I do about the fan being all the way inside the shroud? The only way to move it back is to find a fan clutch that is shorter...... Hold on I should check to see if a fan clutch for a 460 is shorter I got one for a stock Bronco I thought that was the right way to go for fitment.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
What are NCS perches and mounts? I did get them from the same place on the same order as the radiator,I should go check it again. The P.O. did the 460 swap about 15years ago he said he use Hooker mounts that went in he stock location. Well I feel a little better know maybe a trim on the shroud is the best way to go rather than sending stuff back all the time. What should I do about the fan being all the way inside the shroud? The only way to move it back is to find a fan clutch that is shorter...... Hold on I should check to see if a fan clutch for a 460 is shorter I got one for a stock Bronco I thought that was the right way to go for fitment.
I just trimmed my shroud. IIRC, I used the bronco fan clutch and bronco fan. Mine is a serpentine belt setup form a late model, but the water pumps are the same I think.

FWIW, I have no overheating issues in Texas.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
my perches do address the fan to shroud issue one of the driving forces to build these perches
you do have to use the proper 460 shroud with the supercooler radiator only came in the 2wd f series

no need to butcher the fan or shroud
however do to age of rig and unkown history I can't account for bent up frames

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went out today and I can move the shroud down about 1" without cutting just need to drill new holes where it mounts, I'll be ok with that. I also noticed that the radiator leans foward. The top to the bottom of the shroud is at least 1", and it is flush the whole way down the core support. I checked the part # 's many times is that normal for a supper cooler?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts