Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Eddie Bauer, 351 Winsdor 5.8, 169K miles
Today while idling the truck just shut off and won't start back up. Don't have a ton of time to troubleshoot. Hoping you folks can help?
Here is the low down;
Will crank but not start
Checked grounds and cable connections
Tried to jump with no luck
Changed Ignition Control Module, still nothing

Any guidance is greatly appreciated, this is my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,152 Posts
Does it have fuel pressure/ can you hear the fuel pump running?
Will it start off a puff of starting fluid down the intake?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not hearing the fuel pump, but honestly can't say I notice it regularly. It will not start at all just the initial cranking.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,909 Posts
Efi or carb? Shot a quick shot of starting fluid in the air intake if EFI down the carb if it has one ( carbed I’ll pour a little gas down the carb) if it fires then dies your not getting fuel.

Reactions: Weber

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Efi or carb? Shot a quick shot of starting fluid in the air intake if EFI down the carb if it has one ( carbed I’ll pour a little gas down the carb) if it fires then dies your not getting fuel.
EFI, Guessing its probably the fuel pump....Hey at least it doesn't have a full tank right!

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,909 Posts
EFI, Guessing its probably the fuel pump....Hey at least it doesn't have a full tank right!
With the ignition on and a heavy rag over the valve push the pressure release valve on the fuel rail with a screwdriver tip oh so briefly, if you got fuel pressure then the pump is not your problem.

Reactions: ta78w72

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,152 Posts
So to expand on my earlier post..... Here would be my plan if I were working on it
#1 Replace TFI module, which you did already
#2 Check fuel pressure. If no, replace pump and/or filter and/or fuel pump fuse
If yes, try a puff of starting fluid anyway and see what happens. If it only runs on starting fluid, but you have good fuel pressure, it means your injectors aren’t firing. Which most likely would be a PIP issue in the distributor. If the PIP isn’t sending signal to the ECU, the ECU will not fire the injectors
But if it doesn’t run off starting fluid, then...
#3 Check for spark. Either in line tester, or if you don’t have one do the old screwdriver in a wire and hold it close to the valve cover and look for a spark. If no spark, check power to ignition coil, possibly replace coil if it has power but no spark. Check inside the distributor cap for fuzzies/corrosion. Possibly replace TFI again, it is somewhat common to get a bad or the wrong ignition module from these parts stores

Hopefully that knocks out the quick/easy stuff for you

Reactions: White Dragon

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,301 Posts
Pay close attention to the fuel pump when you turn the key to the "on", not "start" position. If the pump primes but doesn't stop after a few seconds and the rig cranks over and over but won't catch, you've probably got a fried ECU. Can't tell from your explanation what exactly is happening with the pump but I dealt with the same issue a few years back.

Good luck with it and Welcome to our Bronco mania.

·
Super Moderator
26,956 Posts
Yo @TN Bronco

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @
http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?pid=74587&mode=threaded
The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO & KOER.

A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.

Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

Troubleshoot a No Start Ford 4.9, 5.0, 5.8) @ https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/how-to-troubleshoot-a-no-start-1

"If no codes, have a spark tester & fuel pressure gauge ready to test." by mrnewland1
miesk5 Note, most chain or mom & pop parts stores will loan you those tools under their loan a tool program with refundable deposit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
1995 Eddie Bauer, 351 Winsdor 5.8, 169K miles
Today while idling the truck just shut off and won't start back up. Don't have a ton of time to troubleshoot. Hoping you folks can help?
Here is the low down;
Will crank but not start
Checked grounds and cable connections
Tried to jump with no luck
Changed Ignition Control Module, still nothing

Any guidance is greatly appreciated, this is my daily driver.
I had this happen on my 1994 recently. At least it sounds alot like it.
I could start it and it would go in reverse only.
Any attempt to put it into a any forward gear and it died.

My fuel pressure was ok, so was ignition, spark plugs, cables etc. Pulled codes but nothing jumped out.

What fixed it was replacing the Engine Control Module. AAA's garage fixed it for about $700
parts & labor. But I think this may be something you could do yourself. I'm just too old to work on my truck any more myself
unless its easy access.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In all likelihood, its your ignition coil. If your truck was running and just stopped dead the coil went. Replace the coil. If you shut the truck off and it wont restart its usually the in tank fuel pump. Give the gas tank a hard kick with your foot; the will likely unjam the pump to at least get you home; later replace the pump. The easiest way to determine which one it is. Do you hear the fuel pump whine/prime when you first turn the truck on? If you do its likely ignition and its going to be that ignition coil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll add. If you rule out the coil and pump, ECU would be my next target. If happened twice on my father's truck that he now carries a spare ECU.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I've been waiting on some funds to replace my internal pump ( again). This weekend I'm going to take the pump out and "man handle" it a bit to see if that works. I put the access panel in so it shouldn't be an issue Didn't even think about that.... I knew a little banging can help a starter... just didn't put two and two together for the pump.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts