Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 bronco with a 5.8L and im having trouble getting off the intake manifold. Im replacing the passenger side valvecover/ gasket and must get the intake manifold off to get at it. There is a star pattern screw down "in" the manifold that i cant get at. I know it's size is T40. I have the socket but it is too wide.A torx screwdriver would work but no autoparts stores within 20 miles have the right size.:banghead Anyone else had this problem or suggestions of how to get at the screw???? ANy ideas would be appreciated.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I have a 1990 bronco with a 5.8L and im having trouble getting off the intake manifold. Im replacing the passenger side valvecover/ gasket and must get the intake manifold off to get at it. There is a star pattern screw down "in" the manifold that i cant get at. I know it's size is T40. I have the socket but it is too wide.A torx screwdriver would work but no autoparts stores within 20 miles have the right size.:banghead Anyone else had this problem or suggestions of how to get at the screw???? ANy ideas would be appreciated.
if you got the torx bit w/ the socket attachment, pop out the torx and use a 1/4" socket (or whatever fits it nicly) to put the torx bit in. then go after it with a ratchet.know what I mean?

KC

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
You dont have your location posted, but the specialized bit is also available from the Cornwell tool dude. Probably available from Snap-Off etc too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
they also make a t-handle screw driver with that T40 bit, thats what I use. It fits right down in there
I second that Sears sells em if you break it just take it back no truck to track down....

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
If'n you needs it off like this weekend, try this

Sixlitre

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
:stupid

Thats what I was trying to describe in my first post. Works pretty good, but it would be nice to have the right tool for the right job.

KC

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
If it's the factory 5.8L manifold, THIS is the best tool:

:toothless

Can you tell I hate the factory manifold setup?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just had to deal with this. Harbor Freight has 1/4" drive torx bits which will fit in the space provided provided you use a 1/4" extension. It was only like $8 or so for a set of 5 or 6 bits including the T40 you need. I had a 3/8" drive bit and it was no go.

Baxter

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,840 Posts

GHETTO STYLE! :rockon

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,840 Posts
purely a one-off. :toothless

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was able to take the socket and use a magnet put it in through the front of the intake then take a 6in ext and connect them togeather under the manafold, once i figured it out it was simple:beer

·
Registered
255 Posts

GHETTO STYLE! :rockon
Nice! lol

I have one of those 3/8"-drive sockets with the T40 bit permanently set inside of it. I put it to my bench grinder and ground-down the socket until it was skinny enough to fit in the upper plenum's channel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where is the torx bolt

help please. I can't locate the torx bolt, where exactly is it. I can't post a photo of mine to show you. have a 1990 bronco with a 5.8L. Thank you.:banghead:banghead

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,122 Posts
help please. I can't locate the torx bolt, where exactly is it. I can't post a photo of mine to show you. have a 1990 bronco with a 5.8L. Thank you.:banghead:banghead
Center of the intake, passenger side. There is a small opening there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts