Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey to all,
I'm new to the FSB forums, and to Ford Broncos....bought my first, a 1995 XLT 73,000 original miles (dark green/silver), this past Dec. 19th. Hope you guys can help me ou, int selecting the best shocks for the most confortable/smoothest ride possible? Lots of potholes where I live! She has stock suspension, and I have to keep it that way. THANKS :popc1:
 

·
Diesel Gynachologist
Joined
·
11,535 Posts
you get what you pay for....any white body shock sucks.

go with a bilisten 5100. there not cheap at about 75bucks each but one of the best shocks for a daily driver. oh and they are vavled for for each application unlike other shocks which are not.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
I took Steve83s advice

and I've been pretty happy. Urethane suspension bushings, Velvet Ride shackles (to dampen the harshness of 3/4 ton rear springs) helped too.

I also run air shocks in the rear that I can adjust as I please.

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rough Country Shocks???

Anyone running with Rough Country shocks? How are they? There's a lot to choose from....Skyjacker, Rancho, etc. Don't really know which way to go. This is my first Bronco. I have to keep the stock suspension height, and make it ride as confortable as possible, due to my Dad having had lower back surgery! Thanks for the help.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Broncoitis said:
Anyone running with Rough Country shocks? How are they? There's a lot to choose from....Skyjacker, Rancho, etc. Don't really know which way to go. This is my first Bronco. I have to keep the stock suspension height, and make it ride as confortable as possible, due to my Dad having had lower back surgery! Thanks for the help.
I've had two discodectomies (discs removed)

and I'm pretty happy with gas shocks in the front. As good as I've gotten the Bronco to ride, I kinda solved my ride problems this Summer by retiring the Bronco to 2nd vehicle status and buying this;



Sixlitre

p.s./
a Bronco's never gonna ride like the Lincoln your Dad needs ($1400.00 E-tested and saftied) It has paid for itself since July in gas savings compared to the Bronco.
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,038 Posts
Sixlitre said:
I've had two discodectomies (discs removed)

and I'm pretty happy with gas shocks in the front. As good as I've gotten the Bronco to ride, I kinda solved my ride problems this Summer by retiring the Bronco to 2nd vehicle status and buying this;



Sixlitre

p.s./
a Bronco's never gonna ride like the Lincoln your Dad needs ($1400.00 E-tested and saftied) It has paid for itself since July in gas savings compared to the Bronco.
Hmmm, chrome wheel well trim....pimpin Six!!:rockon

I'd say all you need are some spinners, and you in biz.:chili: :beer :goodfinge :histerica
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Shadofax said:
Hmmm, chrome wheel well trim....pimpin Six!!:rockon

I'd say all you need are some spinners, and you in biz.:chili: :beer :goodfinge :histerica
You know me Juice

I'm just too cheap to leave 15" land, where the tires are cheapest and stock rims are dern near given away. The chrome done come with her, as did the CD changer, alarm, remote everything and two control fobs.

For $1400.00 it may well be the best deal I've scored in a long while. Touch wood and I don't want to jinx it, but I've had very few repairs and the mileage is stellar since I did the mods to the engine.

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please stick to the question!!

Thanks for the help received. I know I'm new here, but it really doesn't help anyone out when people start commenting on things that don't have anything to do with the original thread/question! I believe this forum has a seperate place for this. Thank you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,143 Posts
It's called a "thread" because the discussion can take turns & wander around aimlessly. ;) Just ignore the stuff that you're not interested in, or start your own forum & set up your own rules. :shrug
 

·
Diesel Gynachologist
Joined
·
11,535 Posts
Steve83 said:
It's called a "thread" because the discussion can take turns & wander around aimlessly. ;) Just ignore the stuff that you're not interested in, or start your own forum & set up your own rules. :shrug

yes but people do hijack threads way more than they should here as well. it is frustrating when a technical question is asked and people starting going on a tangent.

with that said back on topic please.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,409 Posts
Steve83 said:
It's called a "thread" because the discussion can take turns & wander around aimlessly. ;) Just ignore the stuff that you're not interested in, or start your own forum & set up your own rules. :shrug
Dang it, Steve--you NEVER help anyone around here with technical questions...why can't you stick to the topic?!? :slap









:histerica :rofl:








oh, yeah..the bilisten shocks are supposed to be good. I've got Cage shocks on the front of mine, and they seem a bit soft :shrug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Broncoitis said:
Thanks for the help received. I know I'm new here, but it really doesn't help anyone out when people start commenting on things that don't have anything to do with the original thread/question! I believe this forum has a seperate place for this. Thank you.
SNAP!!! Broncoitis called you on that one! I put some Skyjacker Hydro 7000 on about 7 months ago and they worked great until the SUPER cold weather arrived and they started to bounce a lot and so I took them back to where I got them and I've got a brand new set ready to go on!

They were $32/each. I want to upgrade to some of those sweet ones with the separate reservoir after I do the lift. I like the ones by Bilstein. Pretty pricy but sure do look SWEET! :thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,133 Posts
Don't waste money on the Rancho adjustables. If you are gonna spend big bucks, get the Bilsteins.

I've adjusted mine all throught the sprectum (sp?) and I settled on 7 front, 6 rear, which is allegedly stiffer than the RS5000's setting. When I had them on the really soft setting, I hated the way it rode. Too bouncy. Unless you lift it, it's not gonna ride smoothly. Removing the front swaybar will help with the ride, if you can control yourself and abstain from jerking the truck around. Take Six's suggestion if you want a smooth ride. It's a rough and tumble truck, not a pimp-moblie.

One last friendly peice of advice, don't be a dickhead. Six helped you out and ShadowJuice just made one little post about Six's dead sexy pimp-moblie ( :goodfinge ). It didn't really distract from the thread as a whole. You'll get what you need to know, the hijacks are just a little extra for grins. Thats the last I'm gonna say, don't blow this outta porpotion (sp?)
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Broncoitis said:
Thanks for the help received. I know I'm new here, but it really doesn't help anyone out when people start commenting on things that don't have anything to do with the original thread/question! I believe this forum has a seperate place for this. Thank you.
My apologies Broncoitis

You've met your first admitted shameless "pic whore" at FSB.

I thought I'd tied in the advice for a soft ride for you, in that I tried to achieve a "Lincoln like" ride in my Bronco, but with all those mods I mentioned to you, I still failed really.

My point was if your Dad's back is as bad as mine has been/will be, what you really need is " a Lincoln". I've created a kind of street driven, fairly quick, fair on gas, cushy Bronco, when what I maybe should have done, was buy a Lincoln as a second car in the first place.

For the price you pay for all the mods, it might pay you to buy a Lincoln, as they are giving them away right now and they're at least 50% better on gas, so you can keep the Bronco for what Ford built them for.

My 2 cents, and again, my apologies for straying from the specific topic.

Sixlitre (the pic whore):brownbag :brownbag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone

LOL.........maybe I wasn't in the best of moods that day....sorry to shadofax and sixlitre :cry Now that I've got some help on the shocks, I gotta make a final decision and order them up. Oh...sixlitre....a friend of mine just bought a very clean '90 Towncar for $1,500 last week. I went for a ride with him, and it's smooooth. I need the 4X4 though, and Dad is only confortable sitting higher up, like on a SUV or mini-van. Thanks all for your help/advice.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Broncoitis said:
LOL.........maybe I wasn't in the best of moods that day....sorry to shadofax and sixlitre :cry Now that I've got some help on the shocks, I gotta make a final decision and order them up. Oh...sixlitre....a friend of mine just bought a very clean '90 Towncar for $1,500 last week. I went for a ride with him, and it's smooooth. I need the 4X4 though, and Dad is only confortable sitting higher up, like on a SUV or mini-van. Thanks all for your help/advice.
No offense take Broncoitis

Sounds like your Dad's got a champange back and a beer budget. Best of luck getting him comfortable. My buddies cannot believe what a deal these 5.0 litre Towncars are. What kind of beat to S#@t econobox can you pick up for that kinda money ?

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,133 Posts
Kudos for turning out to be a nice guy. :beer :beer :drinkbud :beer :beer

Too many new guys get a wrong impression and get mad and leave forever. Nice to have a mature one for once :toothless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
I have a 95 and am running a set of Trailmaster ssv shock Quads up front and ssv's in the back and am very happy with the ride as my DD. But they will be coming out this summer for the lift. I gotta get some more clearence.
Jay
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top