Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here and enjoy the site. I have a question for anyone who might see this and be able to offer an opinion:

I have a 1992 Bronco XLT 4x4. I have been experiencing a high pitched squealing noise under the hood. This only happens when I am not accelerating.

I looked under the hood and the noise is coming from an area below the surface. It is an area in the center and a bit deeper than I can see.

Thanks again,

Griff

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Griff said:
I looked under the hood and the noise is coming from an area below the surface. It is an area in the center and a bit deeper than I can see.
ummm, ok. the surface of what?

serpentine belt is the first thing that comes to mind

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I apologize for the knuckleheaded 'surface' description.

I've just obtained this Bronco recently from my brother. He kept it in excellent shape and as stock as possible. I'm trying to uphold the tradition.

Griff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

The noise doesn't change. I just took it around the block. I checked the serp. belt and it was taught. I did see a little movement in one of the lower pulleys. Not a lot.

The main characteristic though is the noise stops when I hit the gas, starts right back up when I take my foot off it.

I appriciate the replies...I thought I might get one by tomorrow!

Griff

·
Registered
728 Posts
You might try hitting each pulley with a lubricant one at a time. I experienced a similar noise once and it turned out to be the power stearing pulley. The lube stopped the squeak but I am sure that the pump bearings are soon to go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you do not have belt dress for the serpentine belt then rub some soap (bar) on the belt and see if the noise stops . The belt can be tight and even new and can make noise:beer

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
:stupid Tight don't mean anything...also the idler pullies have been known to go out...if thats your problem replace it with one from a mustang 302 theres were metal....:thumbup

·
Finally got SAS'd
1,142 Posts
check the idler and the tensioner pullys along with the belt. both replacements are metel and not plastic. the run around 10-16 dollars for the pully and 40-60 for the assembly. I work at a parts house so the prices are pretty accurate, but the diagonosis is a suggestion only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts