Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im in need of assistance. I have a 1989 with a 5.8. I am having problems trying to start the beast. The battery, starter and starter cylinoid are all new, when I turn the ignition I am getting nothing. The radio and interior lights all come on but it wont start. The only way to start it is with a screwdriver at the cylinoid. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Let me see if I understand. The engine won't crank when you use the key?
The engine will start if you leave the key on and jump across the solenoid with a screwdriver? Has it run since you replaced those parts? You could have a wiring problem if so, and otherwise I would think it is the ignition switch on the column. Hope this helps.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
uhm, you probabley either wired the relay wrong or it is faulty. Were you able to start it before you replaced the relay? Did you test the old relay to see if it was faulty or did you just start throwing a blanket of money at the problem hoping you would get lucky?

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
like dallas said check the ignition swich on the column, i had the exact same problem, and it turned out my switch was partially melted

·
Banned
22,234 Posts
Is the little Wh/Pu wire connected to the relay? Does it go hot when you turn the key to START? If not, I'd bet a) you have an E4OD & b) the MLPS is bad.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Dat_Bronco_Boi said:
like dallas said check the ignition swich on the column, i had the exact same problem, and it turned out my switch was partially melted
Me too I had that same issue on my '90 Bronco 351W automatic. I had a few wires switched on the new cylinoid, also a few wires were corroded, then finally had to get a new ignition switch then it was fine again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts