Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here...and yes I tried the search first. I have a problem with a sticking throttle. It stuck on me twice yesterday! :shocked It will only do it if I press the pedal beyond a certain point (like to kick down while climbing a hill at speed). What might cause this? A broken piece of linkage? Or something else? Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not sure about yours, but mine has that crappy plastic casing around the throttle cable ,under the spring,where it connects to the TB. mine is cracked and sometimes it jams on the broken pieces and i have to hit the throttle again to unjam it.
I gotta fix that. if you need a picture i can get one later.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.

stangmata50l - Any particular lube I should use? WD-40 or a silicone type spray lubricant or more of a grease type?

Narzuhl - I think I'm in the same boat as you. I'll have to check again, but that same plastic piece might be broken on mine. I've had to tap the throttle to unstick it too. The scary part was the second time it did it yesterday I didn't think it was going to unstick!

How would you fix that without replacing the cable?

·
Registered
315 Posts
ooo my little plastic peice inside the spring is broken and jagged too! damn thing bugs the crap out of me!

ill see if i can find a place we can buy new ones...

i was going to fab up my own end and shorten the throttle cable at the same time, ill let you know how it goes

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...It's always good to see that I'm having problems that are evidently typical Bronco problems. :banghead Maybe a cable replacement is in my future...along with rotors and some minor rust repair. Now come on warm weather! :beer

·
Registered
197 Posts
changed mine in oct 2003 it isn't hard and the cable can be found at napa for about $35(hawaii)But when you go to get a new cable mesure the old one end to end cause there are 2 or 3 lengths for the bronco.

Aloha,Mike

·
Registered
222 Posts
bigeddie said:
Hmmm...It's always good to see that I'm having problems that are evidently typical Bronco problems.
Naa My F150 had the same problem.
i would have to say this is a Ford problem... And well age to.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Narzuhl said:
Naa My F150 had the same problem.
i would have to say this is a Ford problem... And well age to.
BigEddie

I had the same problem and it was just like Narzuhl said, busted, sticking plastic in amongst the spring near the throttle body. Being a cheap ba$t&rd I was in a junkyard and what do I see on a recently arrived F-150 but a brand new fully brass throttle cable. No plastic anywhere !!!!!!!!! I snagged it for free, when combined with the rest of my stuff I bought, and took it home and cleaned and lubed it with silicone spray. Worked great !!!!!

I don't know if it was a newer Ford cable or a much better style aftermarket cable, but I'm a happy camper I'll tell you. Maybe someone has redesigned this poor engineering or maybe Ford has superceded the old plastic one with this new brass type ?

Either way search for the brass one on the net, at Ford or in the yards.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sixlitre said:
Maybe someone has redesigned this poor engineering or maybe Ford has superceded the old plastic one with this new brass type ?

Either way search for the brass one on the net, at Ford or in the yards.
Hey, sixlitre, thanks for the tip. I'll check around and see what I can find. Yards around here are slim pickins usually. I think most of the Broncos (and Ford trucks in general) around here are repaired and kept on the road. Either that or I'm always behind the guys who get the stuff. :banghead

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Crazed said:
any more word on this metal one? I would like to replace mine also...
Crazed

I'll ask around at parts places, would a photo help ?

BigEddie

I've never counted myself lucky for living in the salt belt, but I guess it works in my favour at yards around here, they're chocked full of F-150s, 250s and quite a few fullsized Broncos too. There's a lot of similar stuff on vans too and they outnumber the trucks by quite a bit.

Looking for the older 80-86 stuff I'm usually laughing, with 10-15 examples to choose the best part from, while my GM buddies cry the blues lifting hoods to find nuthin" under em'.

Most of the yard owners are Chevy sheep and completely ignore Mopar stuff, giving it away and really charging pretty cheap for Ford truck stuff (thank goodness).

The deals are so good at my two favourite yards that I can't stay away more than a month at a time for fear of them crushing them before I steal what I want off em'.

I'm a Mopar car guy, but when it came time to by a truck I never even considered an expensive Ram or chevy poser truck. I wanted a real truck, the kind that ranchers, farmers, linesman, police, fire people use.

A Bronco fit that bill and if it had died 4 years ago after doing two severe years in the Arctic I'd have still been impressed. Instead I shipped it back down and she just rolled over 366,000 kms (220,000 miles) today.

I've owned a lot of different vehicles in my life, but never a GM and that's the way it's gonna stay, they're just too expensive on re-sale and used parts.

Don't get me wrong they're good vehicles and I'd rather see you in a GM than something made 6000 miles East of the West coast, but not me. There's too many good deals in Ford and Mopar.

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Crazed said:
Ya, a pic would be cool..
Sure

It's minus 42 out there right now, so give me a couple of days and I'll snap a pic

Sixlitre

1 - 15 of 15 Posts