Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant find the water temperature sensor on my 1990 EFI 302? the haynes manual has a pathetic diagram showing on the block above the water pump and below the dist cap but i dont see anything resembling it on my engine

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
The temp sensor for the temp guage will be on the front in hte lower intake manifold on the drivers side.
The ECM temp sensor is usualy on top of the metal tube coming from the front of the lower intake to the heater core.
see pic below, It's not for a bronco but same locations.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) "Sensor" is located on the passenger side of the lower intake manifold on the tee above the Thermostat Housing. This measures coolant temperature through changing resistance and also sends this information to the PCM which uses this and other inputs to calculate the correct amount of fuel delivered.

See this pic from Gacknar...

On the tee above the intake manifold thermostat housing adjacent to the Fan Belt Tensioner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help, i figured if i found the connector wire i could follow it down but i cant even locate the wire that plugs into the end of it. i want to try to ground the connector and check the gauge, basically i'm not getting any reading on the gauge - its pegged on cold at all times. i bought the sensor before i located the darn thing and now i'm frustrated. should i unbolt anything to get a better visual on it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on that tee is a plug in which i am going to assume is what youre talking about. it has plastic shroud protecting the connection i guess, i thought that this was going to be it but when i removed the female end to match it up to the new sensor i bought it didnt match up so i eliminated that as the sensor i was looking for.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Oooops, I now think you are actually refering to the the Temperature Sender...

---------------------------------------

One is a single wire Engine Coolant Temperature "Sender" which sends a signal to the temperature gauge on the dash.

The other is the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) "Sensor" is located on the passenger side of the lower intake manifold on the tee above the Thermostat Housing. This measures coolant temperature through changing resistance and also sends this information to the PCM which uses this and other inputs to calculate the correct amount of fuel delivered.

Without the correct terminology, you could have the wrong part. Or maybe the right part and incorrect location. Common mistake.

Look at the pic above for specific location of the "Temperature Gauge Sending Unit".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry, yes its the sender i need...which apparently is on the opposite side, same position roughly as the tee (drivers side)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would this be the same for the 351w? Or would anyone be able to point them out for me on a 351w?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
i cant find the water temperature sensor on my 1990 EFI 302? the haynes manual has a pathetic diagram showing on the block above the water pump and below the dist cap but i dont see anything resembling it on my engine
NOTE: click on image to enlarge it. The COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR is outlined on this diagram.
[/url][/IMG]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts