Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i need help badly. ive got a 85 with a 351w H.O. . i start it up and it runs perfect for about 20 minutes and then it will just die. it doesnt miss just shuts off. if i wait about 5 minutes i can start it back up but this time it wont run but for about 2-3 minutes. i have replaced the igntion coil, fuel filter,and ignition control module. the rotor is turning fine and there is no carbon on the cap or rotor. the distributor was replaced about 6 months ago. i am stumped. i was wondering if anyone could tell/ show me where the ballast resistor is. and if that could have anythign to do with it. also the cover over my ignition control module has 2 packs? with wires going into the igntion harness and vacuum lines. what is this(cruise control????). my only other thought which is way out there could a clogged catalytic converter cause this? like i said im lost. any ideas are appreciated thanks

andy

SuperFord.org - 1985 Ford Bronco

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Sounds to me like a dying fuel pump. If you can get your hands on a fuel pressure tester do that. If you pressure drops just before it dies it's your pump.

·
College User
2,013 Posts
I would not think it is the fuel pump, but rather a sensor, if it is running to the same amount of time and then dying. Can you pull codes from it? If the sensor thinks something fatal has happened it will kill the engine. It takes around 20 minutes for the thermostat to open up too, but prob unreleated. :shrug

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no computer to pull codes from on a 85 with a 351 HO. so not many sensors either. fuel pump was my first thought, but ive been under the hood when it cuts off and as soon as it died pulled the throttle linkage and it was spraying fuel into the bowls, so i figured i was alright on that but maybe not

·
College User
2,013 Posts
Before you or anybody replaces the fuel pump with out knowing for sure that it is bad, I highly recommend changing the fuel pump relay. It is only 7 dollars, easy to change and if not it you have a spare for the trail. If the get water or moisture in them they short out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it has a mechanical fuel pump, would it still have a relay???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
choke is good, it just dawned on me its prolly the pick up coil in the distributor, but who knows til i try it. if it works ill let yall know thanks for the help so far

1 - 10 of 10 Posts