Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 6" DC TTB lift and 35s. I would like to do SAS (wish I did it first, but oh well) this coming spring. I have hardly driven my truck and wheeled it even less. I would really like to wheel a bit more before I figure out what SAS (d60, d44) I should do.

This is where my dilemma comes in. It seems from what everyone is saying that it is best to have a locker for wheeling. So I would need a locker and gears (I know, I know I need to get off the stock gears) which is fine, however I don't want to spend money to put a locker and gears in my 8.8 only to upgrade it to something bigger. I also don't want to waste money putting gears in my TTB at all. So I was thinking that I might get a 9" rear and gear at locker that and then do a D44 up front. Of course everyone that has a D44 seems to be going to D60 so that makes me worry.

I doubt that I am ever going much bigger on the tires as I would like to drive around on the streets still (but who knows).

How bad would it be to only gear and lock the rear and not use the 4wd? That doesn't seem like it gives me much advantage really. Should I just pay to have the TTB geared (I know the gears would fit in a d44 as well so that isn't too bad).

I have a limited budget on this project to make things worse. Suggestions on what I should do please!!

Tim

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
i have a solid 44 front and 8.8 rear for sale, both locked and geared (4.10) that I am pulling out of my 94. IF you are staying at 35's you would never need more axle than these. Let me know if you are interested. I will be posting them for sale in the appropriate section in the next few days.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
If your planning on runnin' the 9 inch later than thats prolly what I'd do...swap in a 9" and gear it and the TTB, then just go with a D44 later, like you said you can swap those gears over later...it's really the only option I see if ya wanna do some wheelin til you SAS...:shrug

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off who gave me this avatar? :lolup

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess the real question is will I want to go bigger than 35" at some point?!? It seems that everyone is trading up to D60s and it makes me worried. I want to do this right the first time.

How stupid would I be to do a 9" (or 8.8) and d44 SAS? Am I going to regret it?

More opinions are appreciated.

plug ugly,
Thanks for the offer, let me see what others are thinking and let you know.

Tim

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you're not going bigger than 37" or so tires and you're not going to beat the crap out of it on rocks or mud with high horsepower then the 9" and d44 sas should be fine.
They both have more clearance at the diff than d60 anyway.

just my $.02

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone else have an .02 to give me?

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Well I'm gonna go with a 44, I may change later, but thats the plan for now...besides down here it's mostly mud..:shrug The bad news for you is it's Plug's 44 that I'm putting in, so that offers not there anymore...:toothless (we were already talking he just offered cause nothing was final and he needed to turn it quick so he can finish his swap...but that 44 is mine now, sorry!):beer

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
tim330i said:
I would really like to wheel a bit more before I figure out what SAS (d60, d44) I should do.
there is your answer right there.

you don't need a SAS to wheel. sure, you will be able to go more places, but you don't need it. i get sick of people who think that they have to do an SAS just to even get their freaking truck to the trail because all the other wheelers are doing it. wheel your freaking TTB and see how you like it. if newbronc can run the rubicon solo with no spotter, and hes running 6" TTB lift and 35s, then i have some faith in the TTB. wheel it, break shit, and give your self a reason to do an SAS. i have yet to see pictures of a lot of people who "need" an SAS in a situation where an SAS would actually help.

i can think of maybe 10 people on this site who wheel hard enough to justify a D60, and half of them have already done it, or are getting by with a D44. and no, i do not think i am one of them so STFU:goodfinge
Originally posted by Blaze
it's really the only option I see if ya wanna do some wheelin til you SAS...
another option would be to actually wheel just what he has. 6" lift and 35s will get you lots of places. sure a locker would be nice, but you don't "have" to have a locker to wheel. people just need to wheel what they have.

tim, my opinion on the rearend: get a 9", lock it, done. you probably could get by with your 8.8, but a 9" has cheaper parts, no clips, stronger housing than the 8.8. i will be doing this same swap soon.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
wheel what ya got for now and see if you really NEED to go with a bigger tire .. if you aren't into really pushing it 6" and 35's is plenty .. lock the rear and leave the front to avoid damage to the TTB (locking it can help to add stress) ......... unfortunately this is one of those things that ya gotta "run what ya brung" before you can really answer your own questions.
See if the clearance you have will make you happy ... if not that can help you in your decision to go with a bigger tire..ground clearance and breakover angle is what your concern will be as you progress into tougher territory. Unless you have explored your limits you really can't make an informed decision.

I am doing a 10.25 rear and a D60 front for 2 reasons :

1) I am looking to run 38's as there is alot of mud in the terrain I am living in and I need more clearance to get the diffs over alot of the ruts that are already in place in the trails I run.

2) I need more clearance due to some of the obstacles I face having to follow shorter wheelbase jeeps around

3) I need a heavier duty drivetrain to reduce breakage altogether since I bring my 4 yr old son offroading with me sometimes. The reliability of a beefier drivetrain is insurance for me to get him home :thumbup piece of mind is key and being stuck on the trail for 10 hrs with a little dude can wear ya down .. hehehe

4) having that beef will allow me to push the limits with confidence

so you see.. I have weighed my options and can justify in my mind the work involved and the expense to do so to take my rig to the next level :beer

there should be a breakdown to justify your NEEDS vs WANTS in respect to altering your vehicle..............

best of luck :D I hope that helps Bro

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for all the help guys! I appreciate it, think for now the 9" locked is the way I am going to go for the rear and gears for the TTB until I get a chance to wheel more. After that I will see about an SAS and if needed a new rear axle.

Tim

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
tim330i said:
Thanks again for all the help guys! I appreciate it, think for now the 9" locked is the way I am going to go for the rear and gears for the TTB until I get a chance to wheel more. After that I will see about an SAS and if needed a new rear axle.

Tim
Good call bro, and good luck!:thumbup Let us know how it goes...

Oh and Andy, you only quoted half my statement...I was saying zactly what you did...(I never said lock any axle..:shrug ) I was saying he should do just what he's doing and like you said (and I guess I didn't state clear enough)..later he can go with a D44 which is plenty for most, and he gets to use reuse the gears..:thumbup

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Blaze said:
Oh and Andy, you only quoted half my statement...I was saying zactly what you did...(I never said lock any axle..:shrug ) I was saying he should do just what he's doing and like you said (and I guess I didn't state clear enough)..later he can go with a D44 which is plenty for most, and he gets to use reuse the gears..:thumbup
i know what you were saying bro:thumbup i was just using that statement to help prove my point.:beer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts