Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the original muffler on the 87 Bronco.

It has the stock size exhaust pipe still after the cat and after the muffler. I was just going to sawzall out the old muffler and install a new one in it's place by using clamps, some exhaust pipe and basically to avoid a huge shop service bill.

My questions are:

1) what is the stock size of the exhaust pipe - I guess I would be seeking inner and outer diameter of the pipe?

2) what length should the new muffler be (or close to) for an easy install?

3) does the muffler inlet & outlet pipes need to be on the same "plane", meaning, they are not staggered or offset?

if anyone else can offer up opinions, tips - ect - that would be cool. I'm not looking for a performance gain on the 87, just need to replace the original muffler that is blwon open at the top seam...

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Cobra Jet said:
I need to replace the original muffler on the 87 Bronco.

It has the stock size exhaust pipe still after the cat and after the muffler. I was just going to sawzall out the old muffler and install a new one in it's place by using clamps, some exhaust pipe and basically to avoid a huge shop service bill.

My questions are:

1) what is the stock size of the exhaust pipe - I guess I would be seeking inner and outer diameter of the pipe?

2) what length should the new muffler be (or close to) for an easy install?

3) does the muffler inlet & outlet pipes need to be on the same "plane", meaning, they are not staggered or offset?

if anyone else can offer up opinions, tips - ect - that would be cool. I'm not looking for a performance gain on the 87, just need to replace the original muffler that is blwon open at the top seam...

Cobrajet

Yes I can offer up all the answers for you

You're in luck as I'm a cheap Ba$turd especially when it comes to exhaust and I've spent hours figuring out the best and cheapest combinations.

First off you're looking for a 2 1/4" muffler and tailpipe. Chances are real good your tailpipe will be unsalvageable as it will break just where it goes over (yes, slips onto) the rear muffler pipe. If not there, they break over the axle.

Walker makes many alternate replacement barrel shaped mufflers as well as bone-stock replacements, so does Maremont. Go to an autoparts store and peruse the catalogs to find the exact size of your muffler and then flip over to the universal section in the catalog.

As far as tailpipes go, you should be able to get a stock style 2 1/4" Bronco tailpipe from one of these stores for under $15.00. My choice would be to order the Dynomax mandrel bent 2 1/2" tailpipe for $42.00 and step up to a 2 1/2" muffler while you're at it.

Now comes the tricky part. You DO NOT want to break the pipe coming out of the rear catalytic converter ! Gently cut off the clamps and slice the overlaying pipe length-ways so you can peel it off the converter pipe and not harm that pipe at all !

I've used Sawzalls, cut off wheels, die grinders, dremels, hacksaws, whatever it takes, get creative but save that pipe coming out of the rear cat !

Once you've done that you can do the rest anyway you want to and cheaply !

The only other complications could be (and maybe not) the barrel shaped hanger clamp, the rubber hanger insulation blocks above the muffler or the tailpipe runner hanger, all of which are available from the back of the Walker catalog.

Anymore questions ?

Sixlitre

p.s./
The catalog also has larger diamter and smaller diameter round muffler hangers in case the barrel shaped muffler is smaller or larger in diameter than stock.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yah, that pretty much summed it all up, haha. At least there are more people like us that love to be cheap and do it our self!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
B_Cheetah23 said:
Yah, that pretty much summed it all up, haha. At least there are more people like us that love to be cheap and do it our self!
Years ago it used to be more fun cruising through the Walker and Maremont catalogs

The ideas and combinations you could come up with were endless. Nowadays the internet is good, but they leave out a lot of catalog stuff in their PDF downloads.

I find you still have to hump it back in to read the actual catalogs.

Sixlitre

1 - 4 of 4 Posts