Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having some issues with the bronco and now am down to firing order.

Coulpe major things.. Not sure exactly what motor is in the rig.
The Vin for the rig is a 6cyl code. But its a V8 in the rig.
Owner i bought it from though it was a 302. Andy here on the board thought it was a 351. No EFI on it. whomever did the swap did a good job.

So we got a cap and they gave us the wrong one, thats when we really started having fun. ugh.. after multiple trips to the store with MY cap (I didn't write down the order the wires were in when I took it off.. Damn me!!!!) They found one in the back that matched up and it was for a 76 w/ a 302.
Put it on ant it matches up.

But we broke a wire taking them off so had to go buy a set of wires, they dont know what its for so we buy the $50 8mm that we had to crimp the ends on.
What a joke, piles of shit. Bought the proper crimping tool even. The ends dont stay on and they dont fit well at all.
But we got them to work enough to start the motor and its running off.
I'm taking them back and gonna fight for a refund.
Anyways, we went with the Firing Order the guys at the store gave which is, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
But it does not seem like it firing right.

Are there other firing orders I can try?

Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Been having some issues with the bronco and now am down to firing order.

Coulpe major things.. Not sure exactly what motor is in the rig.
The Vin for the rig is a 6cyl code. But its a V8 in the rig.
Owner i bought it from though it was a 302. Andy here on the board thought it was a 351. No EFI on it. whomever did the swap did a good job.

So we got a cap and they gave us the wrong one, thats when we really started having fun. ugh.. after multiple trips to the store with MY cap (I didn't write down the order the wires were in when I took it off.. Damn me!!!!) They found one in the back that matched up and it was for a 76 w/ a 302.
Put it on ant it matches up.

But we broke a wire taking them off so had to go buy a set of wires, they dont know what its for so we buy the $50 8mm that we had to crimp the ends on.
What a joke, piles of shit. Bought the proper crimping tool even. The ends dont stay on and they dont fit well at all.
But we got them to work enough to start the motor and its running off.
I'm taking them back and gonna fight for a refund.
Anyways, we went with the Firing Order the guys at the store gave which is, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
But it does not seem like it firing right.

Are there other firing orders I can try?

Thanks.
302, 360, 390, 460 firing order- 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
351, 400 firing order- 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome!
Thanks.
I found those same numbers in the book right after i posted.
But we were using the 302.

Now I know!
I gotz me a 351!
Swapped out the wires.
After some bitching the place refunded me and I got some other basic 7mm. they will get the job done for now.
Came back tried with the first firing order and no go.
swapped to the 351 order and she is running good.

My pal is going to help do a carb kit and clean it then time it and should be good for a while!

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
To determine which EFI V-8 engine you have, look closely at the EGR Tube.

- The 5.0L EGR Tube originates from the lower intake manifold.
- The 5.8L EGR Tube originates from the exhaust manifold.

Easy quick reference.

5.0L EFI

5.8L EFI

The firing order is determined by the camshaft in your engine. If you change the camshaft, this information may not be valid.

5.0L Truck (except Explorer) - These engines are similar to the Full Size Car engines, except they use different intake manifolds and camshaft profiles. They also use the 289-302 firing order, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. They also began using roller cams sometime in the early 1990s. They use a reverse rotation water pump and front cover.

5.0L HO - This engine was used in 1983-1995 Mustangs, Mark VII Lincolns, and some T-birds and Cougars. All Explorer 5.0L engines are 5.0L HO engines as well. They use the 351W firing order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Except for the 1983-84 Mustangs, all of these engines are roller cam equipped. They use a reverse rotation water pump and front cover. The 1994-5 Mustang and all Explorers use a unique front cover and water pump.

5.8L, 5.8L HO & 6.6L - These engines use a 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the post and pics. But No EFI here.
This motors from a mid 70's rig, so none of that stuff on there.

We got it to run best using the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The EASIEST way to tell a 302 from a 351W, is intake width. The 302 intake is around 10" wide, and the 351 is 2" wider.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Thanks for the post and pics. But No EFI here.
This motors from a mid 70's rig, so none of that stuff on there.

We got it to run best using the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order.
Ooops! Sorry for my tunnel vision on my first day of vacation and after a few good scotches... :doh0715:

But it was a good post and maybe it can help someone else... :histerica

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,318 Posts
:lolup

glad you got it fingered out bro! I'd rather hear my 302 is really a 351, then vice versa.
tried to run by today. left txt then finally found your place, but you didn't reply to the txt, the Bronco was out front alone and the "dub" was gone.

hope your bud gets it running smoothly but again, I'm still concerned about that distributor. if it was built/swapped well by the PO, twice removed... then the PO who sold it to you and thought it was a 302 may have swapped in that dist. and that's why he sold it. Andy already showed it was "off" a tooth or something. You may need a new distributor for your engine, now that you know it's a 351.

I don't know much about them .. maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but you say the cap that fit was for 302, that tells me there IS a difference and yours is NOT the right one for that 351 engine. :shrug

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am starting to think its the wrong distributer too.

Anyone know if the 302 and 351 distributers are interchangeable?

Today we reset everything to TDC and set to the timing mark that was there. It ran like crap.
We adjusted it until it ran smooth and the power came back.
So for now its running better than it was but I fear something more is wrong.

I think I am going to look for a new (to me) intake/carb, might as well go 4brl, distributor and maybe headers.

Tomorrow im going to pull the A/C crap out - it will let me see the numbers on the motor so i can find out exactly what it is. That will help a lot. Right now were guessing at too much.

·
37,318 Posts
distributor man... it's a mismatch, plain as the bowl in your face! ;)

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Billy seems to think it could be mis-matched for a reason since it was a convert from a 6cyl.

·
37,318 Posts
I don't see how or why... what's left from the 6 cyl system? Nothing to speak of... :shrug
I honestly can't think of any reason to still have it. dist. runs to the plug wires, going right back into the 351. I just can't see how and the problems are apparent.
your call bud... but I think your yankin' your pud until you swap that out for a proper dist.

as I said... you know it's not a dist. from the 6 cyl. and you know it's not for the 351. As I said before... PO before you thought it was a 302 (that's what he told you when you bought it) and likely swapped in one for a 302, then could never get it to run right, so he sold it. I think it's a good rig... but you need to get it all in sync with the right parts.
It doesn't belong there and honestly... I'm surprised it even fit. I don't know much about them... but everything your saying is screaming at me to replace the dist.
everything else is fluff until you get that bitch firing like it should... then worry about the rest (carb., headers, etc.) I know your not made of money... shotgun fixes can end up running into big bucks.

billy is a good guy for helping you and all... but if he's sticking with that 302 dist. on your 351, he's higher than you are bro!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. Still need to find out more about the motor.
Ill get the numbers tomorrow and see what that tells me.
Think i'll hit that new Pull-N-Save up north and see what they have out there for 351's. It's newer maybe it wont be as picked through.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also.. I looked up the cap. Part - OEM 4205 - Rotor OEM 3214
It interchangeable between a few different ford motors. 88 cars to be exact. Anything from 5.0L - 7.5L -
So that doesn't meant it's the wrong distributor.
More questions than answers at this time.

·
37,318 Posts
very old thread touching on the difference between the 302 and the 351, read through and find the info, discussion and final thoughts.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1090&highlight=distibutor+years

another thread on how to set the distributor and timing "right every time".
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168214

Hope I didn't kill your thread... may even start a new one on the topic of the distributor differences beween 302 and 351, as the only one i can find directly is very old and doesn't go deep into it. still... sounds like the 302 dist. isn't long enough to seat properly with the 351's higher deck. Not sure how yours feels though. :shrug

I miss old MountainMan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts